Sign in to follow this  
express2100

Doming a single decal

I would like to dome a decal on a steering wheel center cap. I briefly looked around and didnt see any really small kits for short runs and I know some of you get into doming so it would probably be much more affordable to pay one of you to throw it in with one of your orders.

It is a white plastic center cap with a 1 1/4" center that is recessed about 1/16". Anyone interested?

Not sure of quality, but hobby lobby has a small kit for 15 bucks or so. Maybe worth a shot.

• Like 1

Someone on here does it I think.... it might be Dakota.  I think he might be on vacation this week tho.

• Like 1

Yeah when I searched it Dakota seemed to come up with the most info and examples. Those nice "Nitro" decals he did are pretty much what I am looking for. This is for my boat that won't hit the water til spring so no real hurry. I'll wait and see if he is interested.

I have read that some of the cheaper resins will turn yellow over time. Can't have that on my boat.

If you do decide to get into it, read the instructions completely.

I bought a set off of ebay and it was very thick and goopy and did not flow at all like the videos you can find online.  

Later, I found out that you're supposed to soak the two bottles in hot water for at least 20 minutes to make it less viscous and allow it flow better...  And by later, I mean far too long later as I'd already chucked the $30 worth of epoxy into the trash...

My wife uses a resin from Hobby lobby for her bottle caps and it works pretty good.. All i know is on the box it says Amazing on it.. not sure if that is what kinda resin you would need

I did a bar top for my home years ago.... I forget the name of the resin I used.... I can google and figure it out I bet if it is important.... but I took plywood and mad e top.  Then I used a router to inset some rope (we live in Texas) and then put down photos of old western settings.  Then I nailed on an edge/lip around the top.  I then used this 2 part epoxy resin mix (designed just for this)  and poured it all over the top of the bar being careful of course not to go over the edge.  It was self leveling.  You also had a very small window to work with it.  Long enough tho to get it done.  Once it starts to cure you had to take a little torch and slightly head the bubbles and they would pop right out.  Some 72 Hours later we had an awesome bar top.  If I can find my photos I will try and up load one.

xpaperman, your bar sounds nice. I have seen it done on many diy shows and have always wanted to try it myself. I do think it is a bit different than the decal resins but we'll see what Dakota has to say. I am really interested in the process and it is on my list of things to approach down the road but I really need to stay focused on the vinyl side i.e. (I NEED to step up my software to AI and Photoshop to learn more on designing and have better designs, master photo editing to insert my work for ads, learn the ins and outs of file types, and of course there are the business and legal challenges also) I will be approaching my goal date in a few months and I am nowhere near where I want to be.

So much to learn and take in....some nights my head is spinning when I hit the pillow from all of the researching on my own and trying to teach myself. I'm trying not to ask for as much around here because I have not much to offer in return.

But it's all good and will hopefully pay off in the end. I am extremely dedicated to this becoming a lifestyle and not just another fly by hobby.

Well that got way off ;)

I actually work with a polyester resin everyday.. I make fiberglass pool filters for commercial swimming pools...  

• Like 1

I do them but in batches - you have to use a new mixing tip for every job as it does mix in the tip - much better than the old methods I used but right now don't have a batch in the works . . . this last set I got from ordway with the gun.  next thing is it has a shelf life of about 6 months I was told by the people that sold the quarts 18 months earlier (when that type failed) so I had 2 qts of no good product :(

I do mine in small batches (5-6 pieces) 

I do mine at room temperature and make sure there is no dust floating about  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! I don't want to get into it right now and don't want to invest in even the starter kits. I would like to send my center cap and decal to someone else for the doming.

I have all winter so if anyone is interested in doing it when they have a batch just let me know.

I would do it for you  but postage to and from the UK would be a bit much i would imagine  :thumbsup:

• Like 2