OWJones

Almost got screwed on ebay - not vinyl related

Last month I made a purchase through ebay, and after the checkout process I got ads at the bottom of the page for "You might also like..." and I saw an item about to end that looked like a great deal, so I placed a bid slightly above the high bid and won.

It was for a Sandisk class 10 64GB microSD card for $30 with free shipping.  I did check to make sure the item was located in the US (I never order items that can be easily counterfeited from China/Hong Kong sellers as they are usually fakes).

After I paid I got a tracking number - for China Post.  For an item that was allegedly in the US and from a seller claiming to be in the US... And the expected arrival date was Nov. 3rd - for an item I ordered in September...

I chalked it up to my mistake for not doing more research before bidding (there were less than 3 minutes remaining) and getting caught up in the excitement.

About a week later I got a notice from ebay that the auction had been terminated and that if I hadn't already paid I did not need to, and if I had, well, I'd probably get the item and not to worry - not a very reassuring message.  When the auction was ended, all of the corresponding information - including the tracking # - on the My ebay page disappeared, so I couldn't even confirm the product was coming.   I sent a message to the seller letting them know that I had lost confidence in them and that I no longer had tracking information and asked what I should do.  No response.  

I then went through the ebay resolution process, step one of which is sending a message to the seller and this time I was less polite and asked why a US seller shipping items located in the US needs to use China Post and why it should take 5+ weeks, and what had they done to cause ebay to shutdown all of their auctions.  I got a politely written response telling me that the item had been shipped, was in US Customs and I would have it within 5 days.  The next day I got an email from ebay that let me know they had reviewed my case and sorry, here's your $30 back.

That was two weeks ago.  Last night I got a tiny envelope and inside was what appeared to be a brand new SanDisk class 10 64GB MicroSD card.  I made sure all my anti-virus was up to date, turned off WiFi and inserted the card and it popped up as a 64GB removable disk.   I proceeded to start copying files to it and noticed right away that something was wrong - I was only seeing write speeds of 2.2 MB/s, and a class 10 card should be a minimum of 10 MB/s.   When I removed and re-inserted the card, I noticed that about 1/2 the pictures showed up as generic JPG icons instead of thumbnails and when I would try to open the files, they would fail.

I found and downloaded a Fake Flash Test application and let it run and lo and behold, my class 10 "64GB" card is actually a class 4 8GB card that has been hacked to show up as a 64GB card.

I already got my money back, so no loss, but it sure looks real!  

Anybody want to buy a slow 8GB MicroSD card?  I can make you a great deal!

Great story. I'm glad you aren't out anything. I would never think of something like that. I will definately watch when I purchase flash media online.

Here is a little known fact. You can skip Ebay  and open a case with Paypal when problems arise. It works much better. It may say you can't but you can.

I have a brand new card, the exact same one, I'll sell you for $30 shipped.  I bought a couple for a GoPro I intended to buy but didn't end up buying. I'm located in Ohio which I promise you is in the US, not China!  This is an actual offer, not a smart a$$ reply!!  I actually have a few cards if you are looking for more than one and will give a discount if you buy more than 1

Steve

PM me if interested, NP if not.

I just got two in the mail today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151417811991?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   they are from Saint Petersburg Florida.

brand new in the package with adapter.

I highly recommend filling it with data you don't mind losing before you use it for something you will mind losing... just in case.

• Like 1

I highly recommend filling it with data you don't mind losing before you use it for something you will mind losing... just in case.

Just got back from filming and they work great.

I see an aweful lot of stuff coming in from China and Hong Kong, especially items like this. 

When I see this instead of wading through it, I filter by Distance: Nearest First that clears all the crap out of the way.

Filter by distance is a favorite... you want them to feel like you could come and find them if they do you wrong. :)

I usually check the US Only or North America Only check box - I wish there was a way to set that as a permanent setting.

I do buy a lot of stuff from Hong Kong - I can get HDMI cables shipped from China for $0.99 each, and stuff like that I don't mind waiting on, but 95%+ of the time, I want it fast.

I have a few of them fake sd cards. I have a 32gb that says 32gb but its only 1gb lol. got off ebay.