Sign in to follow this  
Dakotagrafx

not into gaming

our main design computer gave us a scare last month so collecting parts for a new one - figure this might have enough get up and go to do my graphics - never used one of these new fangled 12 core chips (4 processor and 8 graphics cores.

post-2742-0-67864900-1404955416_thumb.jp

technically its an 8 core for processing power which is not graphics the other is for your graphics performance which means if you were into gaming you could get a lower powered card. However congrates on the new set up I'm an AMD guy most are Intel but I have had nothing had nothing but bad issues with them. I have converted over to AMD when Burton chips were out which is something like a PII chip, and haven't gone back, I even got my brother and my dad into AMD. My brothers desktop is my old six core, my dad got an 4 core, and I have the 8 core. Then my dad has am AMD dual core laptop, and mine is a quad core.

• Like 1

I think A10 is 8 core chip for your basic computer processing, and 4 cores for graphic acceleration. You don't need to buy a fancy graphics card which is always nice and cheaper. I have just an 8 core cpu but I have what use to be a high end card. And don't skimp on memory I got 16gbs of ram in mine don't ask what speed cause I cant remember I think its 1600mhz. Whats so funny is my dad use to be the computer geek in the family and now its me lol. I had to have a mid gradd case (lan LI) I took it all apart rivets etc, stripped the grey paint off and painted it blue. after a year I decided to upgrade after that to a better video card (one I got now) and motherboard. So I stripped the case down and painted it red. Been happy with it for 3 yrs, hmm time to upgrade lol.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the good old days when you would go out to look at PC parts and see a 300 MHz Pentium and a 330 MHz Pentium and you automatically knew which one was faster?

And video cards came out in numerical order so the nVidia 110 series card was better than the nVidia 100 series card?

And you actually had to go somewhere, or order from an ad in the back of a magazine?

These days I have to look everything up on a website like PassMark to figure out which part is better...

Way back in the olden days (mid 1990's), in addition to my full-time job, I would work weekends for a local computer store - Wintergreen Systems - I would head over Friday night after work, help load up a box truck, make myself a little nest in the back and sleep on the way to some random hotel, convention center or fairground... Then wake up, unload, setup several tables with motherboards, CPUs, RAM, video cards, sound cards, speakers, modem cards, etc., cover everything with tarps, wrap tape around the tables/tarps and then check into a cheap hotel, get up early the next morning to go uncover the tables and be ready for the onslaught - then after 1 or 2 days, tear it all down, load it up and take it back to the store.   We took in money hand-over-fist, most of it in the form of cash, and would gross $15-25K per day. 

I got $75 cash per weekend and they took care of lodging and meals, and more often than not I would spend more than that at whatever computer show/ham-fest/flea market event we were at, but I had one heck of a state-of-the-art system with new components as soon as they became available...

One of those ham-fests, at the Indiana State Fairgrounds, as I recall, was where I saw a vinyl cutter in use for the first time - they were cutting out radio operator's call letters and names - I think they only offered 3 colors and two font choices, but it seemed pretty cool at the time...

OWjones I do remember that however it was my dad doing most of the ordering. Now I just get on newegg and almost every geek site find what I want or like and go from there. I remember big computer shows at the local convention center they sold computers and some car audio man those were the days and now all of it is worthless.

that's a good processor for the money dakota.

just make sure you get a liquid cooler for it, high end AMD's run hot since overclocking is basically a normal option now.

• Like 1

got the cooler and the 32gb of ripjaws ram came today - kinda busy residing the fireplace (not as easy as we get older) and figure that will take another 2 partial days to finish before I even look at the computer.  this is my first venture into the kaveri chip so will see how it does - little confused on the cores mentioned on here - this is the one i got  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113359  still says it's a 12 core chip - was only like $20 more than the 10 core version.

Ok I was thinking different wow. Yeah so essentially you have a quad core with 8 core GPU which means the 8 additional cored (GPU) wont kick in unless your video card needs an extra boost. It wont run that hot but it is a back edition which means all its cores are unlocked and overclocking would be ok. I overclocked mine to 4.0ghz and its a 3.5 and running a huge fan a Zalmann I belive its been awhile lol. All I know is for what your going to use it for the thing will sing. ok maybe not really sing but nothing should stop it since most programs only use 2 to 4 cores.

I'm computer dumb so I have to ask what is a typical cost to build something like this just for parts

I'm computer dumb so I have to ask what is a typical cost to build something like this just for parts

way more than I should be spending but got the ok to build a new one from the boss- with legal windows 7 pro so far about a grand and will transfer the 2 - 2tb hard drives from the current one and also take the blue ray burner I never use into the new one.   this is a "business computer" and should do all my graphics well I hope - kinda like sticking to the old processors I am familiar with but this seams to be getting rave reviews

took the mb out tonight just to get info for a rebate and I swear it is twice as heavy at least than any other board I have used - will have to see what is so heavy when I build it - maybe more heatsinks . . . I hope to not have to mess with my design computer for a while after this is done.  of course I said that 2 years ago when I built the current one before retiring from the state.   It will also have LOTS of fans like the current one - but even with that now and then I have had to add a house fan to the area when doing big projects

I grew up hotrodding cars so I guess it's only natural I'd be interested in non stock pc's too. Considering the crap I have right now was $400 at the big box store something in the $1500-$2000 range doesn't sound scary but for now I already have too many irons in the fire.

what mobo are you using?

hey if you really want some speed, use those 1tb drives as extra strorage space only and run your OS and other software on a SSD

what mobo are you using?

hey if you really want some speed, use those 1tb drives as extra strorage space only and run your OS and other software on a SSD

shown in first pic - MSI A88x-G45

going to go slow but I can now say "It's alive"  will load some of the graphics programs on over the next few days and test prior to installing other 2 more 2tb drive in it (now has a 3tb).  things are looking promising and very surprised with at least 5 Big fans going it is by far the quietest computer in the house.

after we get closer to buttoning up will work on cable routing a little more and tidy it up before closing it up

post-2742-0-20508700-1405307181_thumb.jp