Dragonduster

oracal 651 wrapping a car

Can I use the 651 for wrapping my car? Change its color.

If not,  why not?

Which one should I use?

How long will it last? My car is always on direct sunlight and we have had up to 50c (sun burn ur skin, even air sometimes)

Mmmm.... tnx, those wrap vinyl sure are expensive =/

And they are all white I believe. 

There have been some who just cut a whole bunch of large decals of varying colors and layered them all over and accomplished a busy but effective transformation that could be accomplished with 751. (maybe 651 but for the negligible cost savings it's worth the extra for some cast vinyl that will deal with the expansion and contraction that auto bodies do and any tight corners are going to fight with 651. 

There are colored vinyls specifically for wrapping. Avery comes to mind but I'm not at the shop to check the catalogs right now

Mmmm.... tnx, those wrap vinyl sure are expensive =/

They make the job a lot easier especially the ones with the air egress pattern in the adhesive.

651 should not be used for vehicle wraps because it is a calendered film. Because of the complex curves, only cast films should be used for complete vehicle wraps. ORACAL 970RA is our solid color vehicle wrapping film. It is available in 96 colors including gloss, matte, and metallic finishes. It also features RapidAir Technology which reduces the risk of creases and bubbles and makes installation quicker and easier.

Here is a link to the product page:

http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/en/products/specialty-films/vehicle-wraps-9831-product-detailsid/items/oracal-970ra-premium-wrapping-cast

Or watch the video here:

• Like 3

Oh cool, I have a related question for the Orafol rep. Where can I get a 970RA swatchbook?

If you register on Oracal's website, you can request samples I think up to 5 sample materials. They usually send 8 x 10 samples.

post-1636-0-42925600-1405525105_thumb.pn

ORACAL 970RA is our solid color vehicle wrapping film. It is available in 96 colors including gloss, matte, and metallic finishes. It also features RapidAir Technology which reduces the risk of creases and bubbles and makes installation quicker and easier.

Show how little I know about car wrap vinyl. Learn something new everyday though. Maybe my cruiser doesn't need to stay dark green after all.