demj1308

Need advice on making vinyl decal

First, im kinda new to this, so forgive me if its a stupid question. My neighbor asked me if i could make a new sticker for his boat. Not sure if this should be 3 layers, bottom being the full letters in red with the middle of the "O" solid, next is the letters in gold (slightly smaller then bottom letters) also with a solid "O", top layer is the fish and the line. Im using scal if that helps with a LP2 cutter. Or should the red outline and the fish be combined some how into 1 layer.

Thanks

post-78591-0-70619900-1404683617_thumb.j

Just cut the fish out of the gold. It could be two layers.

• Like 1

Something like this...

post-24492-0-18884900-1404686346_thumb.p

Then layer the gold on top of the red and you're done.

• Like 3

That sounds good, now the hard question, can this be done with scal ? Ill have to see if i can find some tutorials or something, im guessing front minus back for the knockout, then weld or combine the reds ??

You would be better served downloading a recent version of ikscape and spend your training time on that instead. You will still need SCALP to cut from but I think there may even be an inkscape plug-in. SCALP is weird and quirky and most of what you learn there will be wasted if you ever eventually upgrade to a pro cutter. The skills with inscape will be much handier to you down the road. (I am an illustrator guy and I kind of clunk around in inkscape but still give it props as the best bang for the buck vector design software out there. FREE)

• Like 1

I think i got it, did the back minus front to get the gold with the fish knocket out, then the union on the 2 reds

Wildgoose, thanks for the input on scal. I usually will do most of the work in corel draw, then open it in scal. Still trying to find my way around the vinyl cutting stuff, ill have to check out the program you mentioned.

Wildgoose, thanks for the input on scal. I usually will do most of the work in corel draw, then open it in scal. Still trying to find my way around the vinyl cutting stuff, ill have to check out the program you mentioned.

If you have Corel then your setting good. SCALP just doesn't lend itself to design very well compared to other programs. inkscape is free and def worth having a copy either way.

Something like this...

attachicon.gifContendor.png

Then layer the gold on top of the red and you're done.

On;y one prollem OW, the space between the "O" & "N" shouldn't be solid red. The original graphic is open minus the tail. 

But you are correct, that's exactly how I would do it.

On;y one prollem OW, the space between the "O" & "N" shouldn't be solid red. The original graphic is open minus the tail. 

But you are correct, that's exactly how I would do it.

picky, picky, picky...  :rolleyes:

picky, picky, picky...  :rolleyes:

At least you left the "R" out....... My wife tends to forget to occasionally. LOL