Sign in to follow this  
Mercer57

first tee shirt

Nice. Do you have a permit to wear it? :)

Just curious... how do you feel about the process after your first? Easier or more difficult than you anticipated? My wife is nuts about the T shirt potential and all that can be done with a press. I want to be more experienced on the vinyl side before we venture that direction.

Nice. Do you have a permit to wear it? :)

Just curious... how do you feel about the process after your first? Easier or more difficult than you anticipated? My wife is nuts about the T shirt potential and all that can be done with a press. I want to be more experienced on the vinyl side before we venture that direction.

Just take the leap. You won't regret and everything you learn as far as design and cutting applies to htv the same way.

• Like 1

Just take the leap. You won't regret and everything you learn as far as design and cutting applies to htv the same way.

Working for someone else 50 hrs per week doesn't leave me with enough time to focus on the marbles in my head the way it is. Now if I could afford to focus 100% of my energy and time on the vinyl then I would have a press and maybe even dabble in sublimation (really neat stuff!)

LOVE the shirt design!

I have used HTV in a limited way with my cameo and a standard iron. I can only imagine a press makes it 100X's better. I guess I never felt like a vinyl shirt was something I would wear.... seems hot, and not as durable as other shirts. Everything I am reading on this forum has me thinking I might dig a little deeper though.

Marie

• Like 1

About 1/2 my business lately involves vinyl on shirts. Once you try it you may change your mind.

• Like 3

When I first set up my wife thought we should try it our so we bought a press with everything else figuring we would just make our own shirts for the kids. It is probably half the revenue for the business now and growing. I would say it's easier than adhesive vinyl. Most of the HTV I use (EasyWeed) has adhesive carrier backing so weeding is super simple and you can cut real small stuff without extra skills. Installation is easier because you can lay it right on the shirt and get it right where you want it before you are committed. I later went ahead and bought a pigment based printer to do transfers also and do quite a few of those as well. 

I second Jaybirds  to take the leap and you won't look back. You will soon be one of the most popular people in your circle of acquaintances. I was surprised how many people want custom shirts done once they figured out how easy it was just to order something up. Vinyl is nice because one-off shirts are no big deal where screen print needs to burn a screen so short runs are expensive. Vinyl stays vibrant and usually outlasts the shirt. 

• Like 2

In response to Marie, I recently bought a very nice gold metallic on brown shirt with Geometric design.  I have gotten so many compliments when I wear it.  I am not so much into wearing advertising, but nice design pieces might be a new avenue for you.

I cut the HTV on the wrong side first, so used to regular vinyl I cut on the shiny side, when I couldn't weed it it hit me , DUH! Second cut was simple to weed the only boo boo was I left a sliver of vinyl on the clear plastic and it is on my shirt LOL! All and all its easy to do and your not limited on only polyester or treated shirts. My next thing to try is trying to treat a blended tees my self and check out the results.Walmart has this type of 50/50 blend tees for $3.58 in tons of colors.

• Like 1

It worked great on any poly/cotton blend that I've tried.