oneeyedjack

Need help pricing my first trailer.

Have my first trailer to do, design will be approx 108" x 49", no rivets, 2 sides and just wants oracal 651, one color. Going to install it on a job site he is working at about a half hours drive from me. Really not sure how long it will take as I have never done a trailer before before. I was thinking around $450-500. Any advice appreciated

post-14105-0-55365900-1402379600_thumb.j

There are plenty of folks out there that would knock it out for under $400... just sayin'

Well thats why I'm asking. Just not sure how long it will take and an hours drive round trip. Rural area in canada so for him to go somewhere else is over an hour away so at least a half day of work lost.

Labor + Material + Profit = Selling Price

Pay attention to your numbers. 

That's an easy install. About an hour hour and a half tops. I just did two trailers 4 colors sides and back in 4 hours.

I'd be at $350 for this if I expected more work from him or $400 if I wasn't.

So is that with design, 1 hour drive round trip and cleaning the trailer, job site trailer so pretty dirty. Also things tend to be a little pricier here in canada, material and shipping. Always the hardest part for me is pricing especially never having done a trailer before. Also a 36 inch decal added to back of trailer

Break it down.

How much vinyl is it? 1 10 yard roll should cover it. That's 24 bucks here in the US of A.

How much will the gas cost to drive an hour?

How long does it take you to wipe down a few feet of a dirty trailer?

How much is your time worth to install a few stickers?

Charging gas money is not the way to price a job. I have the cheapest shop in my area and my time offsite is billed between $30 and $50 an hour depending on what is involved. Unlike all the shipping companies I don't add a fuel surcharge to that (may need to rethink that :) )

I don't charge for travel. I just bill it into decal. I price most of my stuff based on how much of a pain in the ass the customer is. Might not make me the most money but this is only play money anyways.

But you are still charging for it, it is just not billed as travel time. Well I emailed a sign comany where my customer would get it done that is over an hours drive from here and they said $375 with good vector art. So going to go at $450 as I had to recreate his design off a pic of a decal on his truck, also had me first design it from his business card first but changed his mind to his truck decal so really about 2 hours of design.

• Like 1

Why not charge 500.00 and provide a service that can not be beat with a finished product that is awesome.

Just saying it takes the same amount of time to be the highest priced guy 

Think I will go with $450 but like the way your thinking HDN.Could probably get more, he is building my wifes parents house and asked specifically if i could come to the site and install them as it would cost him a day of work and gas to bring it elsewhere. Thanks for the help guys.

• Like 1

If your going to charge a premium price. You better use a premium material. Oracal 651 is not it.

• Like 1

That is what he wants, explaind the difference in vinyls to him. So with 2 hours design and the hour round trip is 3 hours. Say roughly 2.5-3 hrs? to cut, weed, tape, clean trailer,install. Coaster I get what your saying but you also said this is only play money to you.

I sell quality and dont give the option of cheaper material I use premium /high preformance vinyl just like I use the best quality building material, plumbing etc not the highest cost but the top quality to give the customer the best value for the cost. That being said I would be around $625.00 with premium vinyl a simple logo like that and standard install.

Sure it's side cash for me but I still stand behind my product and wouldn't even offer 651. Even if he "wanted" 651 I'd still use 751 the price difference isn't much when your charging 500 for a 3 hour job.

• Like 1

Not charging $500 and how is it a 3 hour job, read my other posts. He wants the cheapest vinyl I have as the trailer is only going to be around for 1-2 more years he said. Just curious what some of you pay for Oracal 651 and 751, I'm at $33 and $58 for 10 yds where I get it from in Canada.

That is what he wants, explaind the difference in vinyls to him. So with 2 hours design and the hour round trip is 3 hours. Say roughly 2.5-3 hrs? to cut, weed, tape, clean trailer,install. Coaster I get what your saying but you also said this is only play money to you.

Not charging $500 and how is it a 3 hour job, read my other posts. He wants the cheapest vinyl I have as the trailer is only going to be around for 1-2 more years he said. Just curious what some of you pay for Oracal 651 and 751, I'm at $33 and $58 for 10 yds where I get it from in Canada.

Acording to my math that is $2.50 per yard difference hardly noticable in a job that size. Hell the ease of weeding and applying makes it worth that to use a premium cast.

• Like 1

First he had me design based off his business card, thenafter doing that he changed his mind and wanted the same design he had done on his truck a few years ago so had to go off a shitty pic he sent me. So have about 2 hours into design time. 1 hour drive time. figure to cut, weed , tape, install 2.5 -3 hours so figure roughly about 6 hours all said. I was asking about vinyl prices more out of curiosity than anything. Emailed 2 shops that are over an hour away and they were $350-$380 with good vector artwork to work with.