Hi folks i am new to the vinyl scene and am looking for some input about how some others have handled a situation that i am currently in. I have a customer that came to me looking for a couple large decals for the rear window of his truck. I think to myself $$$$ great then he tells me what he wants and offensive is putting it nicely. So my dilemma is this do i make bank and risk losing out on future customers because i was the guy that made this or do i just turn down the sale and have this guy who is very well known and liked in our small town tell everyone how i wouldn't take his business? I have done some research and know that i am safe from any legal recourse if this guy gets into any trouble because of what he is looking to do.  I GREATLY APPRECIATE feedback on this one.

If it is that offensive I would not want anyone know I made it.

• Like 1

I turn down stuff all the time like that. I have to sleep at night and there's always something else coming along. You have to live with yourself, not the other guy.

• Like 5

I turn down stuff all the time like that. I have to sleep at night and there's always something else coming along. You have to live with yourself, not the other guy.

this was the way i was leaning really have not thought about the long term. I will live with myself much better knowing that i didn't do it just thinking about my son because i would be mad had my child been exposed to something like that and i feel like it would be me exposing these things to other children had i taken the job. Thanks for input

• Like 1

People get butthurt too easily...and easily offended by everything. Putting a christian cross decal on your vehicle may offend muslims....putting a hunting decal on may offend vegetarians and animal rights supporters...putting a babe silhoutte or other sexy decal may offend female rights supporters, etc..

the list goes on and on...

u need to ask yourself, does it offend or bother you, do u need the $$, and does it really matter if people know u made it or not?

i am a biker, i go to rallies and shows and ive seen alot of offensive patches, on vests and for sale at vendor booths...

i have a few dirty patches on my vest, to me its freedom of speech/expression...if it offends someone, too bad, they dont have to read it....im sorry my freedom of expression offends them, them being offended and want to take away my rights, well that offends me.... lol

So do u need the money, and if people know u will do such stuff, it may lead to even more sales!! 

• Like 1

u need to ask yourself, does it offend or bother you, do u need the $$, and does it really matter if people know u made it or not?

i am a biker, i go to rallies and shows and ive seen alot of offensive patches, on vests and for sale at vendor booths...

i have a few dirty patches on my vest, to me its freedom of speech/expression...if it offends someone, too bad, they dont have to read it....im sorry my freedom of expression offends them, them being offended and want to take away my rights, well that offends me.... lol

along with the decal is A LOT of foul language i guess this is were my predicament comes into play, i have a 3 year old that doesn't need to see cock and balls on the back of some guys with foul language.  

If its against your beliefs or you don't feel like it doing the decal just tell him that. Some are understanding and some aren't. And Extreme biker shows and meets are different breed of people, you cant use that as an example.

True.

Ive driven thru Joplin, MO, and along the interstate there were tons of signs advertising XXX adult movies and strip clubs...

Ive been in walmart and have seen people wearing offensive shirts.

In a perfectly censored world with no freedom of speech or expression we would be able to keep stuff out of sight of kids...

If its against your beliefs or you don't feel like it doing the decal just tell him that. Some are understanding and some aren't. And Extreme biker shows and meets are different breed of people, you cant use that as an example.

they still wear that stuff out in public...i wear mine all the time, in walmart and around town.

True.

Ive driven thru Joplin, MO, and along the interstate there were tons of signs advertising XXX adult movies and strip clubs...

Ive been in walmart and have seen people wearing offensive shirts.

In a perfectly censored world with no freedom of speech or expression we would be able to keep stuff out of sight of kids...

they still wear that stuff out in public...i wear mine all the time, in walmart and around town.

People get butthurt too easily...and easily offended by everything. Putting a christian cross decal on your vehicle may offend muslims....putting a hunting decal on may offend vegetarians and animal rights supporters...putting a babe silhoutte or other sexy decal may offend female rights supporters, etc..

the list goes on and on...

So do u need the money, and if people know u will do such stuff, it may lead to even more sales!! 

The difference is, if you want to go around being "a bad ass" that just wants to offend people for shock value, you have every right to do so.  But, you can't expect somebody else to accomidate your perversive sense of right and wrong by designing/printing whatever hurtful/dirty thing you want simply because you are going to give them money.  Go get your own degree, go buy your own printer and you can make whatever you want.  Don't expect the rest of us who actually have a sense of moral decensy that goes beyond throwing money at a problem to create it for you.  (Like a bunch of bikers drinking and driving and being disrespectful to women for a good causee, ie a "Poker Run").  Sure, you say it's all for a good cause, but it is not always what you do, but how you do it.

The bottom line is, it is not your reputation that is on the line when we, the producers, create such things for you to childishly brandish in public.   It is our reputation and future business which is at risk because you want us to draw a three tittied woman having sex with a girraffe giving the finger to santa clause.

• Like 4

So nudity bothers and offends some...hmm theres nudity in the bible..many great works of art include nudity, from paintings to sculptures...

we even watched Schindlers List in Highschool about the holocaust, lots of nudity there.

Again its his choice if he wants to make the stuff and get paid. At the end of the day we all need $$$ to pay bills and put food on the table. It all depends on how bad he needs the money.

And dont judge all bikers like that...

heres one

Howard Ogaard..also known as Santa.

He worked with kids and adults with disabilities..he was known all thru the town as Santa..all year round.

He was a loving kind hearted soul...he was also a Navy vet and a hardcore biker. He died last Saturday, had a stroke on his trike and hit a tree.

1504448_10152151400062642_922646911_o.jp

523733_745712544855_949316666_n.jpg

He was a patriot and devoted his life to helping others, kids and adults. He embodied the Santa spirit all year round and was always loving and giving and making people smile. He rode his bike and his trike with freedom.

He founded our bike chapter, Freedom First Riders, and each year we raise over 10k for charities!

So dont judge all bikers like that just because of a bad few.

To not cut graphic or message which one finds offensive is no more censorship than not giving money to another would be denying them prosperity. They still have the opportunity to go elsewhere for what they seek.

If one displays dignity and professionalism when dealing with consumer issue such as this; fear of future business repercussion is unfounded.

Sadly, based on what I witness, too few bikers today attempt to emulate the example Howard Ogaard apparently set.

• Like 2

jriley,

You have judged the material offensive.

To possess Right Principle is to live by it.

Otherwise it is nothing; empty words.

• Like 1

just look at t-shirt hell.com these guys sell loads of t-shirts that are really offensive and i guess reaping the benefits from it too.

Really at the end of the day its your call, I will print most things but there are exceptions and lines that should not be crossed,

words are words no more that you hear down your local watering hole, or walking down the street, most kids probably say worse in the school yard anyway,

Images are a different ball game altogether....

When does nudity go from obscene to art?

Last time i checked the Sistine Chapel had nude paintings on the ceiling done by Michaelangelo.

So a painter from hundred years ago paints a nude woman and its famou art..and is put into history books and muesuems...but today a guy named Steve paints a nude girl its obscene and not welcomed.