GraphxNMore

When installing layers

What's everyone's preference?

A: layer with app tape and install once?

B: layer one at a time to substrate?

Part 2: If layering one layer at a time to sub, use wet application on ever layer?

On a larger jobs I lay down 1 layer at a time to the substrate. Trying to layer it before could result in alot of bubbles. If its more than 2 layers I would have it printed.

• Like 1

I just do signs and banners etc no stickers/decals for rta.....so always on the substrate one layer at a time and wet so I can adjust the layer if needed.

• Like 1

I'm just layering blue over silver for the TPi I posted in another thread. And yes, it's on the small side of being big. (48X36)

I do one layer at a time and rarely wet. Some do a lot of wet but I find it slows the process down too much. Wham Bam thank you mam.  If it's something that is real big and I'm worried about accidental touching then that's when I wet app. Once in a while I will build a stacked project in the shop but like mentioned I find I get more bubbles along the layers. Have not tried a wet install of a stack though and might one of these days just to see if it is any better on bubbles. For me the stack ends up similar to using two pieces of app tape to cover a wider job, always end up with some bubbles at the seam. 

I just did my first multi layer job just over a week ago. So like you I've never done it. I went with the layer on site method, dry. It was a larger area so I felt layering it all first would be a poroblem with bubbles. It's all a prefrence thing I guess.

I really want to try the wet method though.

I layer in place and normally wet. Like the ability to tweak the alignment when doing it wet.

Wet is definitely safer. I just did a wet app on a two layer graphic that went on a curved surface and I would not have wanted to chance getting good alignment on the curve. There was also some 7/8" wide pinstripe styling going around this curve and wet was about the only way to get it just right. Wet also has the added benefit of giving the customer a more involved performance so sometimes it may impress them more.

Whens a good time to NOT use the wet method? Like if it's a smaller decal maybe?

I don't use wet very often unless it's big or complicated either by the shape of substrate like a curved rear window or complicated as in layered with lots of very precise overlaps. If I think I can handle the size by myself or if I have an extra pair of hands to keep from having an accidental corner touch I do it dry. You can even pop up a small mishap dry if your quick and do it with a good snap. If I have a long run of text that's not script I top hinge and cut it in sections and just do however much I think I can tackle, like two or three letters at a time if they are big.

That's my $0.02 anyway. Wet is just a little slower and a little more mess to clean up but it's definitely safer too. (Also don't try it with clear app tape.)

• Like 1

Over 10 years I have never done a wet application. But now that everyone wants large full color decals I have started doing those with a wet application. I'm talking 4' and larger by myself. When I can I use small clips/clamps to hold across the top and bottom instead of tape. I usually don't have any extra hands to help.

• Like 1