Wim

Will different software fix this or should I adjust a mystical setting?

Using SCALP 3 and cutting on the MH 871-MK2, I run into an interesting...quirk.  If it's a simple enough job with mostly straight lines and minimal curves, it seems to cut just fine.  When I get into cutting figures that are all curves or compound curves, I seem to run into issues where it will cut the first portion correctly, but then partway through (not repeatable btw) it will relocate somewhere on the y-axis up or down an inch or two and finish the cut job - naturally through what had already been nicely cut.

I experimented with taking isolated shapes out of the overall job and cutting them singly, but still ended up with random cut issues.

Further info: the vector was created in Illustrator CS5, exported as a .eps file and looked correct when displayed in SCALP.  Is there a mystery setting that I should be looking for or some sort of file size that I shouldn't go over when cutting?  The cutter was set to take in data at 4800, cut at 500 mm/s with a pressure of 100 gms.

Please ask if there's anything else that would help solve this or if this is a known issue for the printer/software and I should be looking at upgrading one or the other.

Thanks folks!

Is your cutter grounded correctly?

Are you using USB or a Serial connection?

USB connection, and It's using a 3 wire plug to a grounded outlet as well as the self-ground to the stand.  Will/can grounding issues cause this problem?  If so, I can probably improve the ground somewhat.

USB can give you all those symptoms and more. If you have serial capability I'd try that first. If not a keyspan adapter may be in order.

Static can also cause issues but from what you are describing it wounds different. Static seems to just lock the thing up from my experience with a P-Cut. Don't have first hand knowledge on the MH but have heard they have some of the same symptoms. Good luck. I doubt it is a software issue. I'm not a huge fan of SCALP but never had any cutting issues when I was using it. I think I sent files in CS5 native format without any real issues other than cut-by-color was giving me enough grief that I started breaking by designs up into single color files and cutting them separately. There have been many upgrades since then so it's probably a totally different program at this point. Or not. 

That's interesting.  I layered all my cuts by color anyhow since that's how I've needed to look at thing from a screen printing perspective before and it seemed to make sense in this medium.

Wildgoose, When sending from CS5, do I need any kind of special driver or plugin, or can I just push a vector file to the cutter after addressing it as a printer?

jaybird, I'll go see if I can dig up an old serial cable somewhere.  What do you mean by "keyspan adapter?"  USB to serial? or something else entirely.  I'm certain that if I can find the right old box, I've got multiple variations of each of those hanging around. 

Here is the Keyspan Adapter below that is the brand name made by Tripp-lite.  Not any ol USB to serial cable will work,  Not Radio Shack Best buy etc.   Tech support says either a Keyspan or a Belkin will work.   You attach the serial cable that came with your cutter, to the 9 Pin end of the Keyspan Adapter, then the end to your cutter,  USB end of Keyspan goes into your USB  on computer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/160804080791?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item2570ab8c97

I don't remember if there is an illustrator plug-in or not from the SCALP program but I didin't use it either way. I just saved the file in CS5 and opened it in SCALP. I design on a completely different computer than I cut with so I usually transfer my files over on a thumb drive all the time. What I remember happening with the colors was that I designed like normal but when the file opened in SCALP all the colors were the same so I would have to try and break it apart and re-color it and that was a pain so I started just copying whole color layers over into new .ai files and then I had no real issues. 

Oh gotcha.  That's pretty much what I have been doing.I have both programs on the same computer (although I may install SCALP on a second laptop - but different story) 

As far as copying into separate files for colors, you've hit on the head what I was experimenting with before finding this place with all you impressively experienced folk who I could ply with questions. :D

Going to try the serial cable thing tonight as well as a few other tricks that might get me there.  Thanks for the tips!  I'll keep you all posted.

Discovered that it is the OLDER laptop I had and not the current one that has a serial port.  (not really a surprise I guess) 

Was just curious from all of you with the experience: does going USB --> Serial alleviate the USB issue or should I dredge up an old desktop that still has a DB-9 serial port and use that puppy so that the serial throttle is in place on the application side?