Sign in to follow this  
TT57

lower receiver AR ??

ok, got a guy at work - USCustoms- wanting to know if i can etch on the lower receiver AR for their rifles. ?? I am now sure if the blast cabinet  with Alum Oxide will do that toughness. Any thoughts on what i can try/practice on ? Has anyone on here done this or any gun parts.? Also, when etching on pocket knives and such, would it need to be coated with anything afterwards?    Help a girl out here !!!

The finish on them should be similar to the knife blade you've already done. You really, really, want to keep the alum oxide out of the internals though. Are they going to strip them before you blast them?

My lower is etched in a similar fashion and needs no protection.

• Like 1

strip them? i am sure they will do what is needed. Can you show a pic of the one you did ? And, did u use AO ? 

Strip.....Disassemble. There's lots of small moving parts in there that need to stay clean. 

I just did some reading on it and the most common coating would be Type III hard anodizing. The recommended way to etch is with a laser. Some manufacturers paint their lowers. If painted you can probably do it. Find out who manufactured the lower and check their website to see how they coat them. Or you could just ask the customs guys, they probably know by looking at it.

Some aluminum cookware is hard anodized. You may be able to use something of that sort to practice on. Maybe they have an old part you can try.

Lowers are the only part of an AR that require registration and handling by an FFL. I don't think simply doing some etching could get you in trouble but double check to be certain.

Sorry no pics. 

Not to sound stupid, but blasting a blued receiver would create all kinds of rusting issues?  I am not sure, just saying it sounds like a bad idea to me , 

Do you have an FFL? Be real careful. If you etch / remove the serial number you are going to have a bigger problem then you would care to deal with. What are you looking to put on the receiver

I may be wrong, but (legally) I think you may have to have a license, to do 'anything' to the lower, if it's not yours.