Dawn's Design

MAN AM I GLAD I HAD A EXTERNAL HARDDRIVE!!!

My desktop crashed today. I'm glad I saved all my files to a external hard drive a few months ago. The desktop was only a year old I couldn't believe it. Looks like I'm on a laptop now for a little while.

I stopped the dells when the 3rd one died - proprietary motherboard, case and powersupply so you are stuck when replacing parts  - went back to building my own, at least when a part fails I just replace that part

• Like 1

I never liked dells I always asked people why not build one? I get the answer its to hard. If people would just read up it isn't hard to do at all. Also I had an issue with a dell last year I picked up a Dell laptop before I got the Samsung, I took the dell back because it had video and sound issues right out of the box.. Also on my desktop I have a Samsung SSD and man its great.

As for backups my theory is you never can have too many backups. like I said in a previous post 1 external HDD, 2 Sandisk Cruise Glide thumb drives 16gb and 32gb, then I have a 32gb Sandisk Extreme HD SD card.

back up - separate external for each hd in the main computer - computer has 3 - 2tb drives,  separate external for the printer computer with 1.5tb.  you can never have enough storage but doing good for now

• Like 1

back up - separate external for each hd in the main computer - computer has 3 - 2tb drives,  separate external for the printer computer with 1.5tb.  you can never have enough storage but doing good for now

Agreed

Lost 2 dells last year so I'm trying my luck with a gateway now. And +1 for backing up everything. I need to back up my external again soon and if I weren't on usage regulated internet I'd backup online too.

Good for you!  I was a photographer for years so I've become a little obsessed with backing up and my externals HDs.  :)  So many people don't use them and then cry, cry, cry when they lose their images and files.

• Like 3

I have always used HP products they are like a ford they just keep going.

Use to always buy HP I have an HP that the hard drive went out however it was 5 yrs old replaced that dad wanted it so I got my Samsung. I would have gotten another HP but my best buy didn't have any with AMD only intel and I don't want to get into why I prefer AMD over intel.

steer w wide path around gateway - hp is solid units and they still have models with serial ports built in - in both desktop and laptop.  the last set the prison got in had serial ports and I was surprised but then again they supply a lot of medial fields that have a lot of stuff that is still serial 

• Like 1

My gateway was an emergency purchase but so far it's doing fine. No more Dell's in my shop though. Only dell left here is my old 1710 laser printer and that thing is a tank.

only gateway here is an e-machines(unrepairable drop off) case that I gutted and put new internals in for the cutting computer . . . . our governor used to be the ceo of gateway when they sent the manufacturing to china.  He still can't do anything right for the us citizens after changing jobs!

• Like 1

I am writing on the same Toshiba  Satellite laptop  windows XP.  that I purchased new in 2006.  It has been  used about 12 hours everyday since 2006.    I did replace a CD.DVD Rom on it, and a screen.  but still working fine for my internet use.   Because this computer has worked so good I purchased 2 other used Toshibas Satellite laptops  windows XP.  for cutting.    Both under $75.00..  

• Like 2

I am writing on the same Toshiba  Satellite laptop that I purchased new in 2006.  It has been  used about 12 hours everyday since 2006.    I did replace a CD.DVD Rom on it, and a screen.  but still working fine for my internet use.   Because this computer has worked so good I purchased 2 other used Toshibas Satellite laptops for cutting.    Both under $75.00..  

agreed but be very very carefull with the power inlet on the toshibas - it is their one Achilles heal - bump it and it snaps off - had 5 of them and every one did it (teenagers) - if adult owned and careful great units.  went back to hp for that reason on the vacation laptop

Yes,  you mentioned that before.    I am not careful with them..  LOL. 

might save a newbie with a new one . . . 

agreed but be very very carefull with the power inlet on the toshibas - it is their one Achilles heal - bump it and it snaps off - had 5 of them and every one did it (teenagers) - if adult owned and careful great units.  went back to hp for that reason on the vacation laptop

My neighbor has a Toshiba and the HD's keep failing. They have a Hitachi Deskstar HD but I call them DeathStar's

My neighbor has a Toshiba and the HD's keep failing. They have a Hitachi Deskstar HD but I call them DeathStar'

Maybe I am just lucky.  I have 5 I use here.  3 XP 15"    2 17" windows 7  .   And this is a true story.  I was born in the LUCKEY HOSPITAL,  Wolf Lake, Indiana  on Halloween.    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

You just need a well built machine like this: 10003519_617641231657483_919486517_n.jpg

no carolyn you are just careful I can loan you a kid or two and brinkley - they will take care of them all!  Brinkley isn't intentionally destructive but it is a side factor of size and puppy thinking in a 120lb body

• Like 1