Sign in to follow this  
fedjastacey

looking for wall quotes vectors eps/ai

Open up your design program and draw them up yourself and then send them to your cutter.

• Like 1

it really doesn't get any easier than typing in the quote and cutting in your design software like arty said - it's not like you have to trace it from  jpg.

I knew before I opened this thread the posters post count would be very low....

• Like 1

can someone please put money in my pocket?

thanks in advance.

fixed it.

• Like 1

some people have huge issues.  yes i am new and asked a question but there is no need to act all weird about it.  not asking for money making purposes simply decorating my house living room and kitchen and kids rooms, that is it.

and no my post count wont stay low, i will get involved wherever i can and hopefully help people out and share ideas.

to anyone who offered helpful advice, cheers guys :)

• Like 2

Hey Scott!!! 12,000 posts, NICE!!!!!!!

Just means I spend too much time on this puter . . . 

some people have huge issues.  yes i am new and asked a question but there is no need to act all weird about it.  not asking for money making purposes simply decorating my house living room and kitchen and kids rooms, that is it.

and no my post count wont stay low, i will get involved wherever i can and hopefully help people out and share ideas.

to anyone who offered helpful advice, cheers guys :)

Your ok Stacey. What program are you working with? As mentioned above, you should be able to just type out what you are wanting and change some fonts to get the look you want and then cut it. Some programs require you to convert the text to outlines once you get it like you want it, some don't. This is truly the basic of basics with vinyl work. If you want the look to have variable sized or variable fonts then just type the specific words out one at a time and that way they won't be connected to the other words and you can move them around and rotate them or re-size etc... 

• Like 2

So let's backup then and start from the beginning.... What design software do you have?  What cutting software do you have?  What type of cutter do you have.  Once we have this info, you can be taught to vectorize all the text you want and you will be cutting away in no time.  Text is really the easiest and most basic thing.  It also is not very hard.  Once we know what design software you are using a bunch of folks will be more than happy to walk you through the process step by step!

• Like 1

Text is really the easiest and most basic thing.  It also is not very hard. 

Are you related to Jed Clampett? That sounds like something he might have said. You know, The banker says "That statement was redundant." Jed says "Yeah, and he said the same thing twice in a row!" LMAO Sorry to pick on you xp. Couldn't resist 

Thanks guys :)

I only have a creation ct-630 cutter USB model. Not the greatest cutter but it's ok for beginner I guess.

I have managed a few nice things so far. Today I did end up making my own wall quotes using illustrator and sending them to signcut using the cs6 signcut plugin. Managed a few nice one using nice stript fonts.

I guess every day is a learning curve but I am willing to learn.

Thanks for all your advice

• Like 2

Are you related to Jed Clampett? That sounds like something he might have said. You know, The banker says "That statement was redundant." Jed says "Yeah, and he said the same thing twice in a row!" LMAO Sorry to pick on you xp. Couldn't resist 

No problem.... i can take it. I somehow missed your post before I posted.

• Like 1

I only have a creation ct-630 cutter USB model. Not the greatest cutter but it's ok for beginner I guess.

I have managed a few nice things so far. Today I did end up making my own wall quotes using illustrator and sending them to signcut using the cs6 signcut plugin. Managed a few nice one using nice stript fonts.

How about some pictures of your work?

Is it possible to post some pictures via safari on an iphone? My laptop is in my work and won't have access to it till tomorrow but sure I will post some work would be good To get some feedback. Thank you

• Like 1

I ran a CT 1200 for over 2 years and there is nothing wrong with that machine once you learn the quirks and limitations. 

Quirks would include the usb connection issues it looks like you are already finding and static electricity will glitch it out.

Limitations, tracking is poor, the motherboard (or something) doesn't like to do huge volumes of cuts such as may hundreds of copies of the same design. 

I managed to get by with the usb cable. many here suggest using the serial port or a Keyspan adapter. I couldn't find a name brand Keyspan adapter and ended up doing ok with the regular cable connected to a windows 7 laptop. I never left the cable hooked up, only plugged it in when I wanted to cut and it seemed fine. The tracking was easy to work with while using SignCut Pro because it has step-by-step cutting so on long graphics it will just cut everything in a user defined length (I used between 10 and 12 inches) before moving on. This doesn't work with text. Turn it off for text or you will have a mess. On long text runs I made sure I ordered my lettering so that it would flow through letter by letter rather than jumping around. I was only able to get SignCut to allow me to do this and I am not sure if the newer versions even have that still working. (I have since upgraded machines and no longer pay any attention to any of these things)

Static electricity can be dealt with by spraying some anti-static cling spray like women use on their skirts around the machine before cutting

The limited memory or whatever the issue with multiple copies I just only cut about 10 copies of anything. Sometimes you have to just shut it down for a couple minutes and then reboot in order to get it going again. To tell the truth it was mainly this issue that pushed me to getting a new machine. I had a ha t order with 1500 cuts to make and I knew I was in for trouble so I bought a new machine while the hats were coming and boy was I glad.

Like I said once you learn to deal with these little issues you can do some pretty good work with the P-Cut but you have to sometimes be patient with it and remember that it was a cheap machine. I never had great success with tiny cutting or things that needed the tracking to be super accurate like large multi-layered stuff that each successive layer had to be perfect to match up the the lower ones.  

Quirks would include the usb connection issues it looks like you are already finding and static electricity will glitch it out.

Limitations, tracking is poor, the motherboard (or something) doesn't like to do huge volumes of cuts such as may hundreds of copies of the same design. 

I managed to get by with the usb cable. many here suggest using the serial port or a Keyspan adapter. I couldn't find a name brand Keyspan adapter and ended up doing ok with the regular cable connected to a windows 7 laptop. I never left the cable hooked up, only plugged it in when I wanted to cut and it seemed fine. The tracking was easy to work with while using SignCut Pro because it has step-by-step cutting so on long graphics it will just cut everything in a user defined length (I used between 10 and 12 inches) before moving on. This doesn't work with text. Turn it off for text or you will have a mess. On long text runs I made sure I ordered my lettering so that it would flow through letter by letter rather than jumping around. I was only able to get SignCut to allow me to do this and I am not sure if the newer versions even have that still working. (I have since upgraded machines and no longer pay any attention to any of these things)

Static electricity can be dealt with by spraying some anti-static cling spray like women use on their skirts around the machine before cutting

The limited memory or whatever the issue with multiple copies I just only cut about 10 copies of anything. Sometimes you have to just shut it down for a couple minutes and then reboot in order to get it going again. To tell the truth it was mainly this issue that pushed me to getting a new machine. I had a ha t order with 1500 cuts to make and I knew I was in for trouble so I bought a new machine while the hats were coming and boy was I glad.

Like I said once you learn to deal with these little issues you can do some pretty good work with the P-Cut but you have to sometimes be patient with it and remember that it was a cheap machine. I never had great success with tiny cutting or things that needed the tracking to be super accurate like large multi-layered stuff that each successive layer had to be perfect to match up the the lower ones.  

thanks dude

that is a great insight.  really helpful :)

which machine did you end up getting after p-cut?

ive had some good luck with my p-cut so far.  when i bought it used of a guy he gave me lots of vinyl rolls, think most are made by avery, quite thick and i seemed to get on ok with it.

but then i needed a colour that i didnt have so i ordered some vinyl from the dreaded ebay and to touch it feels really thin and when using it you can see the difference in quality and sometimes when cutting it started peeling bits off during cutting.  so i guess i have answered my own issue there, buy quality vinyl..  i just dont know what to get right now for less hassle when cutting.

here is some of the things i have done so far.  i run a tattoo studio and existing signage was terrible so decided to make it look a bit more fresh :)

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

• Like 1

Oddly enough the thin vinyl is the good stuff. There are two main types of vinyl. Calendared and Cast. The thick it typically calendared. It starts out like sort of like a roll of pizza dough and gets rolled out thin and after it it cures it gets cut to width. Cast is mixed up like a polymer and sprayed and then eventually cut into widths. The calendared has a natural tendency to want to shrink back toward it's original size where the cast is already there. Cast is a little more delicate when cutting and weeding but far more conformable and able to handle the expansion and contraction that happens to most surfaces like glass, car doors etc... 

• Like 1

So much info Nd things to learn eh :)

My issue is I am in the uk and I would like to find a good supplier and buy decent quality vinyl that won't give me much grief when cutting

Anyone from uk suggest good vinyl?