Sign in to follow this  
TheKid

Photo silhoette

I was thinking of a way to give my daughter and son in law a birthday present since their day is the same. I started going thru my large library of pictures and found one I thought would work. This rascal was the devil to weed. I was using the only vinyl I had which was an exterior I'm using on a decal project. What type of vinyl would be best for this project. It will be framed as shown in an 8X10 landscape frame. I used PaintShop Pro to greyscale and to set brightness and contrast. I then imported into Inkscape and removed uneeded nodes. I cut thru SCALP on a 14" MH series cutter.

What is the best way the next time I attempt this. I had to do quite a bit of photo editing before I imported into Inkscape. Any help, tips, comments welcome. -robert

post-84570-0-56879000-1394144220_thumb.j

Don't really know what to tell you on the editing. One thing that I do is cut it in mirror image then stick it to the backside of the glass in the picture frame.

I thought about that or even putting it on the outside. I decided to just peel off the dark and cut it fit a frame. It would look cool kind of floating in the frame though. I've never done something like this nor have I seen any pictures of one done. I'm sure many have, just couldn't find an example of what to do. I could still put it on glass front or back. Since there is no print I could reverse it.

Sounds to me like you went about it the same way I would have and I think the results look pretty good. It's tough to go from a picture to a vinyl silhouette without some strange areas here and there. As far as I know there is no easy button for this type of work. The only other thing I have ever done was trace in a few colors to get some more details. I use about 6 colors to start and then start cutting it down to 5, 4 and so on in the preview until it is something that gets the look I am after. There is almost always a lot of node editing after the trace and sometimes I have ended up starting all over again because I mess up the results by trying to consolidate the cut. 

I was into scroll saw portraits for a long time and designed tons of patterns and know how to do it, but not good at explaining the process. Maybe do a search for scroll saw portrait pattern making  also steve good  has an awesome website   http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/  lots of tips and vids.

This software does the work for you:

http://www.carvingtechnologies.com/coyote.aspx

• Like 1

That looks fantastic Dawn. I'd have to go to a bigger cutter to do that. Is it stuck on the glass?

My main problem is learning Inkscape. I've seen some amazing work done with it. I have problems with the simplest things such as how to connect two nodes together. A lot to learn and a lot to read. Getting there a step at a time. -robert

Theres Dawns Showing off that work again....lol.  I really like that

Thanks Mercer57, and Dawn - that is nice work right there!

Cal