Sign in to follow this  
JessXEmoji

Facebook ads a rip off?

So I did a ad test on Facebook to drive more traffic to my ebay store.

I ran it for 6 days and spent $10. After the ad was over Facebook said it got me 112 clicks to my store link. So i get on my ebay and check my store stats for the 6 day period and I see no sign of the 112 visitors. Not even close. Over 100 short. Imo i got none from facebook at all.

So Im just letting you guys know Facebook ads does not bring the traffic it claims. At least not in my study. I wont be spending no more money on facebook ads.

Wonder what they will say if you bring it up to them. Tell them you had a tracker on ebay and you didn't get the claimed visitors. Im sure they have some different way of tracking visits but It might be worth raising a little hell. You might get your 10 bucks back.

QUOTE> "You might get your 10 bucks back." 

Haaaahahahaaaaa..... that's a good one!

• Like 3

I've always felt that, like myself, most folks ignored those ads.

Heck, you cant swing a dead cat without hitting someone with a cutter.

Dont really need an ad to find someone to make a shirt or sign.

Just like MadHat implied... just ask a friend.

Facebook = ripoff? I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

I always thought it was better to post on a friends wall with their ok so all their friends would see it. cheaper smarter.

yes i would post on there wall, you would get more traffic than facebook ads. how often do YOU click on facebook ads, or any ads for that reason. 

Most are spam, except the well known ones we all trust. 

hell ive gotten more hits from craigslist than I would from facebook ads. 

glad you only lost 10 bucks. Hell send some free ones or cheap ones to your buddys on facebook and tell them to take pictures of them when they apply them to whatever they want, and post them on there own facebook pages, and to link to you if they want some.

Good Luck

Apart from my graphics business I also work 8-5 as a Digital Sales Manager at a local radio/tv group. In the past 3 months or so there have been many questions raised just like yours but in dollars amounts 1000s times yours from larger companies. Several large profile clients like big box stores and even smaller boutique stores have set up trackers that track exactly how many people come to their site from a certain "destination" - is this case Facebook (They are easy to set up if you wanted to see where you are getting most of your traffic from - Google, Craigslist, Facebook, etc). You're not alone in your feelings and I can honestly say AT THE CURRENT TIME do not waste your money on Facebook advertising unless you're doing it through their corporate Ad Exchange which is a whole different program than someone that just managers a page can buy. Have to be licensed with Facebook and blah blah blah.

There are much better options out there for digital advertising depending on what you're looking for in terms of Click-Thru-Rates or even just general ad impressions. Site retargeting, behavioral targeting, channel targeting, etc. Too much to get into on here but if any of you guys have a question I would be more than willing to answer!!

ps - Paying for your Google search results are quickly becoming obsolete as well.

yes i would post on there wall, you would get more traffic than facebook ads. how often do YOU click on facebook ads, or any ads for that reason. 

Most are spam, except the well known ones we all trust. 

hell ive gotten more hits from craigslist than I would from facebook ads. 

glad you only lost 10 bucks. Hell send some free ones or cheap ones to your buddys on facebook and tell them to take pictures of them when they apply them to whatever they want, and post them on there own facebook pages, and to link to you if they want some.

Good Luck

Prefer Craigslist as my free marketing too. At least it gets me some results where facebook just takes my money. I stopped using a business page and use a personal page on FB instead and seem to get more coverage that way but what works for me may not work for others.