Sign in to follow this  
mksews

Cutting position w/ craft robo pro

I have had this craft robo pro for alot longer than I would like to admit...the problem is I can't figure out how to use this thing.  I always end up back with my cricut, but it is starting to show it's age so I figured NOW is the time. I also want to add a heat press soon with larger designs so I need to figure this out.  My problem is I can't figure out how to  get the design to cut where it shows on the mat.  I have read about using the origin or WYSIWYG feature in the cut mode, but I can't find the place where the cut mode is, it's not on my cut page....maybe if I can find this I can figure it out.  Also, since you don't use a mat with the craft robo, how do I use smaller pieces of vinyl.  If I move the rollers to cover the vinyl I get a roller error message.  I have been thru a bunch of vinyl tonight!  Please help!

How smal a piece of vinyl you trying to cut. SCAL refers to the mat as the vinyl area. It has presets and also set as custom. changing the may size changes the mat on the screen. I don't use WYSIWYG. I use Origin Point. I have a MH cutter which you set pressure, speed and so forth as in most cutters. I have cut vinyl three inches wide and 12" long. I load it length wise and set the page H/W in SCAL  Mind you. To diplay margins and registration marks the vinyl has to be large enough or the vinyl small enough. Don't forget to figure in the weed box too which has to be within margins.

On mine like most others I take my small piece of vinyl and move the pinch rollers to secure the vinyl. I then take the cutter offline to set use the arrow keys to set the origin point where the cutter will start cutting. Once set. when you press cut in SCAL it should cut within the vinyl defined within SCAL. If not then you might have the wrong driver loaded for your cutter. Some of the older cutters only had serial and parallel ports. Check your manual for setup the ports. It's not difficult. Win7 will actually work with older software thru the compatibility functions in windows.

When you have the vector file ready to cut you can preview which will show lines to be cut. The Cutter option brings up another page for additional settings. you can also cut by color. or cut all colors. This is helpful with multi colors. You must UNGROUP the object to see all the color layers. There over to the right you can click the eyes off and only print what's on the mat. Example. You have red and blue objects on the screen. you can turn one of them off. But if you leave both colors on, your cut will be both colors. I have some decals that have three colors and this option is extremely handy. I applied registration marks to show up on all layers. this way I cut each color and easily line them up when combining them.

Post some pictures of your cutter would help about your rollers. -kid

The Craft Robo, is made by Graphtec,  You either have to put the pinch rollers over the grit rollers, or you will get the error.  The other way is to go into your menu and disable the media sensor. You will have to look thru your user manual for that.   Then you won't get the errors.

Sorry, I don't use Sure Cuts A lot.

I've taped  small pieces of vinyl to a piece of paper to get it to run through the plotter.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the info about the roller sensor!  That makes a big difference.  Now if I could just figure out where the origin point setting is on SCAL.  I have searched the cut page but no luck.  MK

Well I disabled the media sensor and moved the rollers and I still get the realign rollers message.  I think I'm just going to put this thing on craig's list and be done with it.  I am really pretty good at figuring things out but this thing has me beat.  I give up!  

Well I disabled the media sensor and moved the rollers and I still get the realign rollers message.  I think I'm just going to put this thing on craig's list and be done with it.  I am really pretty good at figuring things out but this thing has me beat.  I give up!  

Don't give up,  that is a smaller version of a great cutter.. People are upgrading to the Graphtecs.  They cut great.  But like any machine, you have to take time to learn them.  Your CE5000-40, (as you stated in a PM).. is just the smaller version, but will do a great job. 

Hi,

I think I have it going pretty good. Must you change the force setting every time? It seems like it defaults to 9, when I really need a 17 to get through the vinyl. I only do vinyl, so it would be nice to change force setting to 17 and keep it there. Thanks for you help!

My force never changes, unless I change it..  It probably would help you to download the Graphtec Cutting Contoller also and do all of your changes from your computer.   Speed, force, quality, blade offset.   Very ez.   What kind of vinyl are you using?  Your force seems pretty high.   Make sure you have a good sharp blade.  You stated you had that machine forever.  Your welcome..

Make sure you have your blade set correctly, before deciding on a force setting.  This is how you set your blade correctly.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Thanks for the help! in my desperation I called my tech support person (my oldest son) and offered him $100. to figure out how to use the cutter. He helps me all the time at the store..I have a monogram storefront..but had never done the vinyl. I figured I would lose money if I sold the graphtec so I might as well give him a chance at it! He was there in no time and with your alls help has pretty much started to get the hang of it. thanks for all the help...I told him to look thru the forum for other answers...but he'll probably still have questions. Amazing what younger kids can figure out!

Your welcome...He will get it..  The Graphtecs are nice machines to work with...The cut really detailed designs, very nicely.   I started my older son with a Graphtec,  I didn't want him even going with the value cutters. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to say we have gotten the cutter to work! I went ahead and bought the Pro version off u.s.cutters eBay site and things are now working beautifully. I don't know if there is any real difference between the scal 3 and the pro..but we are now cookin'. I will say this graphtec cuts beautifully..after using the circut all this time there is a BIG difference in the cutting quality. I have gotten my son so excited about the cutter ...we went to a heat press show together over the weekend..that I think we are going in together on the heat press and then the sublimation printer. I think this will be a great addition to my already successful monogramming business. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Your welcome..  Now don't ya wish you would have been using the Graphtec all this time?  Congrats,  carry on. ;D .. Graphtecs are great cutters. 

• Like 2