Sign in to follow this  
ddprinting

Copyright issues????

So when someone that has a shop or out of their house says straight up they will make and sell you a copyright decal do you worry about it???   I asked them about a few including HD, Fox, Monster and a couple others because all the other sign shops around wouldn't because of copyright issues and they said "ya, no problem".  Do you care about these guys or not???   

Agree with Dakota. We all make our own bed and we are the ones who lie in it. They do their thing I do mine and the time comes that they lose their shop and business I'll just walk by and ask them how's business these days (snickering).

• Like 1

It’s only illegal if you sell it right? I can make a monster logo and just give it to you…right?

It’s only illegal if you sell it right? I can make a monster logo and just give it to you…right?

Wrong. Just making it if you don't have permission is illegal.

How would one get permission to do copy right sutff? just go straight to the company and ask?

That would be where I would start. Most companies have contact information on their website and most will want to charge you for the privilege to use their logo.

It's illegal for you to make it, illegal to sell it, and also illegal for that person to buy it if you don't have the rights. Been hearing of more and more people getting caught lately, it's just not worth it. 

• Like 1

Monster cracked down pretty bad around hear last year. Just not worth my business for a cheap decal

When we were in DC a couple years ago, they had shirts with the Monster "M" logo upside down for Washington DC. I was suprised they had them all over town.

If you rush the market fast enough and get out quick enough it's like you were never there. Ninja style

When we were in DC a couple years ago, they had shirts with the Monster "M" logo upside down for Washington DC. I was suprised they had them all over town.

actually jay there was articles about then about them suing for that exact thing.

There's a small trucking company, used to have a sideways monster M, stretched and skewed, for their logo. Don't have it anymore?

Ya giving it away is trademark infringement in the form of "diluting their market" rather than copyright infringement but could probably be just as big of a deal.

Trademark is actually more enforced than copyright I think. Something about if you don't actively protect it you can lose rights.

• Like 1

Trademark is actually more enforced than copyright I think. Something about if you don't actively protect it you can lose rights.

Exactly!  A copyright owner can choose to ignore infringement for years and choose to sue any one at any time, even if a thousand other people are doing the same thing.

Trademark violations have to be cracked down on hard and fast to keep the term from becoming generic - see Xerox, Band-Aid, Kleenex, etc.  If the owner ignores it for too long, then they can lose the right to sue.