Sign in to follow this  
Go-C Graphics

What's the norm........

So I have a customer that I completely rebuilt a poor quality raster image into a vector image that can be resized to anything he wants.  

I'm charging about 8 hours of design time. 

After I'm done who owns the rights to the image?  

Should I release the image in the vector format to him?

Do I charge extra to release it? How much?

I was discussing this with my GF last night and she compared it to a wedding photographer. You pay them to take the picture and can order your pictures from them but if you want the original images you have to pay extra.  

What's the common practice here?

If you're charging the time I'd say it's his. I rarely charge for redraw work unless they ask for it to go somewhere else then I charge for it and I explain that it is their logo but making it useable involved x # of my hours and that is what I am charging for.

I never give the customer a copy of the converted image. They would own the image, unless it has a copyright by someone else.

I charge for design time to convert it and for the sign/decal itself and install if applicable. I would add that 8 hours is alot to charge depending on your rate, I usually charge a flat rate.

If you started with their image, no matter how poor copyright is moot point because it is their image. If you charge the but aren't willing to give a copy you are seriously risking jeopardizing that business relationship as they feel they are being ripped off. I'm not saying that is the actual case but if that is how they feel about it they will most likely go somewhere else next time.

agree - if you charged to redraw it then you are charging for the electronic version and they should get a copy -  if he didn't pay for the redraw that is different.   

So I have a customer that I completely rebuilt a poor quality raster image into a vector image that can be resized to anything he wants.  

I'm charging about 8 hours of design time. 

After I'm done who owns the rights to the image?  

Should I release the image in the vector format to him?

Do I charge extra to release it? How much?

I was discussing this with my GF last night and she compared it to a wedding photographer. You pay them to take the picture and can order your pictures from them but if you want the original images you have to pay extra.  

What's the common practice here?

do you pay the photographer for the time spent on touch ups and tweaking the photos?    usually not - they factor that in on the sale of the photos.  so even if they are pictures of you, unless you pay for that time spent working on the photos you aren't going to get the originals.  then again if you are willing to spend the money to pay for their time you can get the originals

• Like 1

For me it just comes down to do you want to risk losing a client if they feel you are in the wrong. Not judging right or wrong but that perception can put you out of business.

I can't comment ..not enough info. I can tell you one thing..I researched copyright on photos..and whoever takes the photo owns the copyright. It's automatic.

• Like 3

I have not had any customers ask for the vector file, so I don't give it to them. Most of it is pretty simple to reproduce, simple logo and text. Most bigger companies will already have an eps of the work they want done, if I have to do a redraw I charge about a flat rate usually about an hour. What they are really paying for is the decal and install, removal of old decals. If a customer asked for the file I upfront I would give it to them but charge more for the redraw, there is alot of competition in my area

so giving it without them asking is like giving work to other shops.

• Like 1

Very rarely do I get asked but when I do I make sure to get paid for my time or they can pay the next guy to redraw.

Ive dealt in different industries with photographs. Who ever takes the picture owns the picture like John said. In order for another person to have rights to them, they have to be given written permission to use them and for what purposes. Even if you "tweak" the image, they still own it.

Also is the 8 hours regular time or "learn as you go" time? Not knowing what you even worked on, its hard to say what the "norm" would be

• Like 1

I think this is an interesting discussion. The customer hasn't asked me for it I'm just basing this on what if.......

I'm still up in the air on how much to charge. 

Here's the image I'm referring too.  If you scroll to the bottom you can see the before and after.  

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/42435-i-need-some-help-find-some-graphics/

8 hours does seem like a lot (I agree) but the bulk of it was searching for images that will work. (See how long it takes you to look for a vector image of a corn growing on a stack. Looks easier then it is.  LOL) And Honestly I have ALOT more time invested in it then that, I'm estimating 12+ hours.

I actually tried to farm the design work out and I was turned down by one person and another wanted 4 hours as a down payment.

I first had to search and find each image.  Some of them I had to pay for.  And then on top of that I had to modify most of them to get them to work. 

Some images had to be traced.

15 images all together.

I'm open to hear thoughts on how many hours I should charge.  I'm new at this so I want to be completely fair to the customer.

My problem is you are charging to redraw things that I assume neither of you has the rights to. I would of passed on it as a redraw job if I had been asked strictly because of the copyright issues involved and don't see seeing him a file that neither of you have the rights to. Not tryin to start a big debate or anything this is just my take on it and I have been known to be wrong more than once in my life.

• Like 1