gcextreme

Another Vinyl Business opened up in my area.

Well just today i noticed on the outside of town, in an old Yamaha motorsports dealership building that's been vacant for 3 years, another vinyl graphic and sign place just opened up, called, SignMax, www.signmax.com

They must have just opened up within the last month or so.

Anyway, that makes about 7 different places within a 20 mile range of my town that deals with vinyl stuff. Though this place and some of the others don't do shirts/hats. 

This place opened up about 5 miles out of town, along a kinda busy highway. I can see them getting some notice from people going to town and leaving, but thats about it. 

I'm anxious to see if they advertise in the paper, because none of the other business advertise in the paper, mainly because the local paper is privately owned and they won't let us advertise. I have tried to get advertisement, but because they also do signage and graphics, they see it as a conflict of interest and wont allow me to advertise in their paper. So much for freedom of the press, lol.

Here's a clue..the conflict of Interest is them NOT letting you advertise.

• Like 1

Freedom of the press is for those that own the press. Like John said ^^^^ they're scared of a little healthy competition.

Here's a clue..the conflict of Interest is them NOT letting you advertise.

I'm not understanding that???

Freedom of the press is for those that own the press. Like John said ^^^^ they're scared of a little healthy competition.

Yeah i know.

Im also a freelance webdesigner, and as they also do websites, thats another thing they wont let me advertise..

Better Quality and faster turnaround is your best defense to new competition  

Yes, but i dont have a store front and have very limited ways of getting my name and services out there. Most of my business is thru friends and word of mouth...

Yes, but i dont have a store front and have very limited ways of getting my name and services out there. Most of my business is thru friends and word of mouth...

I'm 30 miles out of town, work out of my home "office", and I have had 8 jobs in the last 3 days and have added 2 more today. I also have a trailer I am doing towards the end of this month because he saw my wife's van at her work with my logo on it. Takes time as Jay keeps reminding me

• Like 2

What John is sayin is that a newspaper should be unbiased, not self serving. At least that's the way I read it. If I interpreted it wrong I'm sure John will set me straight.

• Like 1

Also, with like 7 places dealing in vinyl, around a city with a population of about 14K people, do u think the area is getting flooded?

What John is sayin is that a newspaper should be unbiased, not self serving. At least that's the way I read it. If I interpreted it wrong I'm sure John will set me straight.

Yeah i can understand that....but they are a business still, and probably fear a little competition..lol

Depends on their quality of work. Within 30 miles of me I bet there are at least 50 sign shops in that radius. If your quality stands out you will get noticed but it doesn't happen overnight. About the paper I find it hard to say you're unbiased while trying to monopolize the market. The whole idea of the press is freedom and they are trying to squash that. I know I wouldn't buy their paper.

Also, with like 7 places dealing in vinyl, around a city with a population of about 14K people, do u think the area is getting flooded?

First thing all the ones I deal with is the price, If I am less then all the rest they want to talk to me. Then the next thing they expect is quality work for that cheap price. It is fine line we little "guys" walk to get business. Turn around is the last thing. I get most jobs cause I can burn em out in a day or two where the big places take a week to seven days. My best example is a guy that ordered 30 sets of (4) magnet placards, got the job on a Friday and called him Sunday when they were done. He thought I was joking because he had another shop working on them for 3 months. I am now his first call when he needs stuff

• Like 1

But the problem is, its not just the big town paper, the smaller town south of me, also has a paper, and they wont let me advertise either!!!

Alexandria MN population about 14K newspaper is the Echo-Press

Glenwood MN population about 6k people, newspaper is the Pope-County Tribune.

Neither will let me advertise!!

Turnaround is key too like el said. I forgot about the other 20 people with a circuit doing signs lol. Quality will keep ya going. Good enough, seldom is!

But the problem is, its not just the big town paper, the smaller town south of me, also has a paper, and they wont let me advertise either!!!

Alexandria MN population about 14K newspaper is the Echo-Press

Glenwood MN population about 6k people, newspaper is the Pope-County Tribune.

Neither will let me advertise!!

park your truck in their lot with your info on it for a day lol

Old company just a new name and location. They been around for quite some time.

what was their previous name???

Also they have paid some big money for some top ranked domain names. They do alot of internet sales

park your truck in their lot with your info on it for a day lol

lol good idea, as long as it doesnt get towed, lol

7 shop /14,000 potential customers. Are you saying that 2000 potential customers per shop isn't enough to support a shop? Just pickin at you but you get the idea. I don't advertise in the papers or the radio anymore. I found the reward wasn't worth the cost and would rather put up fliers at gas stations, laundrymats, grocery stores and anywhere else that has a community bulletin board. Also I use every vehicle I own for advertising, not some little window sticker but the whole thing. I get more work because of the shirts i wear and my lettered up Jeep than I ever did through the paper or radio combined.

• Like 1

Well Mopar, i really dont see them as competition, just like i dont see you as my competition, we are friends, etc...

i am just curious about the areas demand for it, specially around Alexandria/Glenwood/Sauk Centre.

And if local sales is their main income or is online sales...