The Elvis Legacy

FIRST BIG - Max Metal Sign

I am making two outdoor signs that measure 66" ft tall by 78" feet wide.  I am using 4x8 sheets of Max metal.  By doing this, I have to panel  a  48" x 78" piece with a 18" x 78".

My idea for doing this would be to lay the two pieces face down...and glue down about a 12" wide strip of max metal on the back over the seam.  I was advised by a fellow local sign maker that he uses a silicone for the "glue".

If there is anyone that has done this type of thing...can you please tell me how you would do it? and what type of adhesive you would use...

These signs are going up in a frame of a pre existing sign cabinet 10 ft off the ground if that may make any difference...

I use ALL-PURPOSE adhesive in a tube ---  (UHU brand)

Any similar product would work equally well.

311557_2.jpg

I use a silicone that i buy from Gemini letters it is a heavy duty construction grade silicone ....but any good 100% silicone should work. Use some strips of 3m vhb tape to hold the panels together as the silicone drys. I have done tons of signs this way and have never had a problem. This is also the method I use to attach aluminum or dia bond panels with no visable fastners.

• Like 2

After hitting HF and purchasing several kinds of adheasives, I am happy to report that what worked wonderfully for me was gorilla glue.  If you use it though, make sure you cover up the seam with some tape or something due to the fact that the gorilla glue expands some when drying and it may very well seep up into the seam.  Other than that issue, it was da bomb and the sign was set and ready to add vinyl to within an hour! 

As for the silicone?  I must not have used the right product because I used that first and even after a full 24 hours, I was not comfortable that it was going to hold.

After hitting HF and purchasing several kinds of adheasives, I am happy to report that what worked wonderfully for me was gorilla glue.  If you use it though, make sure you cover up the seam with some tape or something due to the fact that the gorilla glue expands some when drying and it may very well seep up into the seam.  Other than that issue, it was da bomb and the sign was set and ready to add vinyl to within an hour! 

As for the silicone?  I must not have used the right product because I used that first and even after a full 24 hours, I was not comfortable that it was going to hold.

Was it construction grade silicone? It has always worked for me as a matter of fact in an hour after installing gemini letters I had one that had got moved a little and it was quite hard to get off. But that silicone cost $13.00 a tube.

Whats an inch foot? I assume he means 66 INCHES x 78 INCHES? Ive never heard of inch feet...

• Like 1

Whats an inch foot? I assume he means 66 INCHES x 78 INCHES? Ive never heard of inch feet...

you have to use your doomahikie to measure inch ft - a thingamabob just won't do

• Like 1

you have to use your doomahikie to measure inch ft - a thingamabob just won't do

But you also can use your whatchamacallit or the latest model of the hickey

• Like 1