JessXEmoji

How did you start your business?

Im going to start online..but also plan to do it local. Did you guys start kinda under the table or did you get all legal and stuff first? Also did you put your name and phone number out there and just use business cards etc... just wondering how you guys went from start to your first sales.

I went from nothing, right to an online major auction site and have been doing this successfully for  7 years full time.  All shipped vinyl graphics. Working from my home.   I do not advertise locally, nor do I sell local.  I live in a small town.

Not bein nosey or such but might I ask if I can see your auction page ASSUMING its ebay Mz Skeeter..Just curious is all, not being smart or funny just curious...

I already had a side business when I got into vinyl so they just merged and eventually the sign side overtook the original business. I do very little online, most comes from my store. You'll find as many different stories as there are members on here.

SORRY,  I no longer show my site on here.   I actually had to report forum members for copyright infringement, of my original designs,  camera photos,  as well as totally copying my ads word for word, to THEIR sites and undercutting me, with my OWN ads, photos and designs.

• Like 5

That is totally understandable. Shame people can be like that.

As Mz Skeeter said selling on auction sites can make money, but be prepared for people stealing your work and undercutting you. There seems to be a rash of cheap wall decals from China flooding the market right now so be ready to sell at a low profit margin.

Did tou guys stock up on designs when you started or just wait for custom orders? Is there any standard designs I should have on file?

I went heads strong and cut a sh-t load of large decals and wall art and end of day I still have 90% of what I cut in beginning, dont do that no moe, you pay as you go...I cut when it is ordered and paid for, most of my stuff is on ETSY under wifes crafts, not great but not dead, no complaints and have had 50-70% return orders, cant make'm buy if they can get it cheaper packed in rice when they rec their order..At least I am quick turn around not like over seas stuff.

• Like 1

IMHO, "repeat" customers (they return and order more) is what he meant.

BTW, craigslist is local, and free.

Ive thought about craigslist but you would have to just offer your service/advertise your business there. I doubt people would buy your pre made work if you listed those.

I run a CL ad for magnets and 1 for banners as well as an ad for services which lists what I do.

Again..I am only 1 of hundreds of thousands that dreamt that "we" might come to a point that being independent is a challenge, along wih that I wanted only to show my work and that I could stand next to the BIG boys that are able to produce in mass commercial quantities but they lacked the quality that comes from a 1-to-1 personal touch that comes with and from everyday guys like all you "SIGN KINGS", you guys walk the walk and talk the talk and I have respect for all you guys I have spoke with and done some business with..But my heart is creative and doing what others don't do, so whether my wife lists me on ETSY or wherever I enjoy knowing my name and work is in some ones home or garage or man-cave and that's all I really expect from myself, if I make some money along the way well good for me....

• Like 2

I have seen your work and your love for what you design definitely shows through. Trust in this, once it becomes a job most of the joy goes away.

Well i went to school for web design and graphics, got out of college, did a few websites here and there, not enough to live on, got a job turning a wrench and building things, my other passion and hobby. I take a few websites jobs here and there. Then i started designing graphics and having the local big shop cut stuff for me to sale. I would do stuff for friends and buddies online, have the shop cut it once i go paid. I made a few dollars here and there. But then i decided to cut out the middle man and bought my own cutter and started doing as much as i could on my own. Then got a heat press for doing shirts, and ive done a few shirts for friends, and now i just bought a heat press for hats.

I'm working on my collection and examples to put into my website shopping cart, and hopefully once i get a full cart system i will be selling more online thru my website.

It's not happening overnight, takes alot of time and work....

So far i think i have about $4500 invested, and i have had about $900 in sales..since i started in May..

I started large format printing about 10 or more years ago. Did a lot of marketing/adveriising for some big brands in the cosmetic and beauty realm. When the market came down I took on printing full time. Then bought my first cutter maybe 5 years ago. Had old experience screen printing  so also picked that up. Was a Cad/Cam programmer for quite a few years so lots of pc experience plus been working with Adobe products sine the late 90's. 

So now a big ol shop, just bought the building I am in, its about 10,000 sg ft, just kicked all the renters out, knocking down walls and bringing in more power. Making room for a flatbed next winter and a new 8/8 press coming in April. 

Only problem is my debt in this is well over 6 figures. Thinking I should go write G-code again, lol. 

I started large format printing about 10 or more years ago. Did a lot of marketing/adveriising for some big brands in the cosmetic and beauty realm. When the market came down I took on printing full time. Then bought my first cutter maybe 5 years ago. Had old experience screen printing  so also picked that up. Was a Cad/Cam programmer for quite a few years so lots of pc experience plus been working with Adobe products sine the late 90's. 

So now a big ol shop, just bought the building I am in, its about 10,000 sg ft, just kicked all the renters out, knocking down walls and bringing in more power. Making room for a flatbed next winter and a new 8/8 press coming in April. 

Only problem is my debt in this is well over 6 figures. Thinking I should go write G-code again, lol. 

With great risk comes great reward. I keep telling myself that lol.

• Like 1

It's only bankrupty not the end of the world. The millionaires of today were the risktakers of yesterday.

Most of my stuff is paid for. Just the building. I quess I could always open a roller rink. Haha