Sign in to follow this  
MadHatterGraphix

5 potential jobs

First one is the local Cub and Boy scouts. Their fund raisers aren't producing the revenue they need, I was told this by a  mother. So I handed her a card, and a brochure showcasing some of the items we have to offer. I then told her we can personal each item. She said she would bring it up at the next meeting. I said thank you for taking time out to talk to me, and left. I realized I never went up to someone like that and did a sales pitch.

The next one is I have a female friend who recently started working for Mary Kay Cosmetics. She just got back from the weekend retreat and was full of energy and telling me all this information, and she has the legal right to use Mary Kays name on shirts, and bags. She then proceeds to say she already has a printer to do them. I was a little upset and asked who. She replied You and I was all happy and shocked. She is now working on her ideas for them. Be nice to get some steady work like that.

The last two I know the manager at the local Gamestop, I was asked about doing some shirts for midnight releases, I said sure why not. Unfortunately it depends on regional manager. This same Manager asked me about some dart league polo shirts he wanted done I told him sure send us an email with all the information. Then theres this female worker who wants bumper stickers made. I told her sure send me the information. The sad part is its been a week and nothing was sent to me. These are the potentials more than the others.

Always follow up. People get busy, lose contact info, etc. Never to stop and ask if they've had the opportunity to think about what you discussed.

Something else to remember for next year... During homecoming weekend a lot of alumni return to their hometown and want a "I {heart} CityName" window decal for their vehicle - I got requests through Facebook and even made one with 2.5" tall letters - with background it was 21"long!

Next year I'll have them made in advance and advertise them and hopefully sell even more. Unless you live in NYC, it isn't likely that such designs are readily available for people in town for <72 hours...

If you get the Boy Scouts job be sure to get set up with the national office to have the proper permission. It is a little bit of paper work but nothing too bad. The local troups don't have the authority to authorize you do use the logo but national does. For small jobs like this there is no fee they just want to know who is using it and why.

If you get the Boy Scouts job be sure to get set up with the national office to have the proper permission. It is a little bit of paper work but nothing too bad. The local troups don't have the authority to authorize you do use the logo but national does. For small jobs like this there is no fee they just want to know who is using it and why.

The BSA had thier national jamboree here in West Virginia at the new Summit Betchel Reserve about 10 miles from my town. The local sign shop near the reserve got a ton of work from them doing coro directional signs and banners for the local stores promoting boy scout branded items for sale.

Just a note about potential work  ----  I keep a folder in the SignBlazer files just for "proposals" which I've done.

Often, especially on simple jobs, I'll go ahead and whip up a proof of their sign, and forward it to them in eMail.

This gets the ball rolling, allowing them to provide design feedback and also, if they need to, show it to the people who make the final decisions on approval of their sign vendor.

I rarely get turned-down on a project when I've created a preliminary mock-up.

• Like 1