Sign in to follow this  
slice&dice

Front or Back? Which side is YOUR vinyl rolling out from?

Was browsing the web, and came across this photo of a guy who was using his cutter with the vinyl rollers in FRONT of the machine.

01010_cWDMgZPRMTj_600x450.jpg

How many of you are doing it this way?

Well, yes, at first that's what I thought, too, he made a mistake -----

However, he may have done this on purpose, deciding that having the rolls of vinyl in the front would allow better access (not having to reach over the top of the machine)

I just am wondering if anyone else has their cutter configured to load in the front like this.

I have always done it that way. My cutting area is small...and it saves space. It has always worked fine for me.

Hmmmmmm, I think we're getting somewhere with this!!!!

OK, so the vinyl loads around from front to back, and then comes spewing out forwards and how do you prevent it from hitting the roll sitting down there?

I have seen with certain cutters that there is a setting in the menus to make the forward or backward feed which I would assume would do what you're describing. I prefer to see my display w/o reaching over the machine to look, but that is just me. Advantages to both ways I suppose.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I have seen with certain cutters that there is a setting in the menus to make the forward or backward feed which I would assume would do what you're describing. I prefer to see my display w/o reaching over the machine to look, but that is just me. Advantages to both ways I suppose.

Nope.

That's not what is being described here.

The feed is done normally, from the rear.

The vinyl rolls out and goes under and up, into the machine from the back as you would expect.

lol but according to the school of Graphtec the first type you hit the wrong button and set it to sheet feed and watch 30' of vinyl  try to wind out you realize now nice it is to see the control panel clearly.

P.S. I was actually surprised I understood all of what you typed. Cambridge huh

Nope.

That's not what is being described here.

The feed is done normally, from the rear.

The vinyl rolls out and goes under and up, into the machine from the back as you would expect.

Never heard of anybody doing it that way but there's more than 1 way to cut vinyl.

?thgir ,em htiw gnissem era syug uoY

Wow, that ain't easy.

Jaybird, you said "Never heard of anybody doing it that way but there's more than 1 way to cut vinyl."

Which is why I went ahead with this thread, and as it turns out, BannerJohn is indicating he does it this way, and I'm now attempting to figure out how he prevents the vinyl that's coming out the front from hitting the roll of vinyl sitting right there in the path.

I await his reply.

• Like 1

My question is.................

Do you use both rollers and set the vinyl roll on top OR do you run one roller through the center of a roll on vinyl?

Jaybird, you said "Never heard of anybody doing it that way but there's more than 1 way to cut vinyl."

Which is why I went ahead with this thread, and as it turns out, BannerJohn is indicating he does it this way, and I'm now attempting to figure out how he prevents the vinyl that's coming out the front from hitting the roll of vinyl sitting right there in the path.

I await his reply.

I never had the problem. I always roll a bunch off to begin with and the cut part just feeds right down behind the roll and the vinyl hanging down catches it. Never touches the floor

Wow, this is getting complicated.

First of all, Go-C Wraps asks about putting one roller through the vinyl tube, instead of placing the vinyl roll onto two rollers and balancing it and letting it spin freely.

I would think that taking the roller off, and each time feeding it through the tube is a waste of energy.

It works, of course, but for ease of changing vinyl, just letting it sit on top of the two rollers is the way to go.

Now, regarding Bannerjohn, let me see if I understand correctly --- You unroll a length (say, 12 feet for a banner) and it doesn't touch the ground? How? 

That issue of long lengths was the very first thing I encountered when cutting, and I then immediately put together a media catch basket !!!

Anyway, from what you're saying, you have the vinyl going in and the vinyl coming out overlapping?

I need to see a video of this, I think.

I have read of others sliding the roller through the tube for their 2 most popular colors and laying anything else on top of the 2 tubes.

Wow, this is getting complicated.

First of all, Go-C Wraps asks about putting one roller through the vinyl tube, instead of placing the vinyl roll onto two rollers and balancing it and letting it spin freely.

I would think that taking the roller off, and each time feeding it through the tube is a waste of energy.

It works, of course, but for ease of changing vinyl, just letting it sit on top of the two rollers is the way to go.

Now, regarding Bannerjohn, let me see if I understand correctly --- You unroll a length (say, 12 feet for a banner) and it doesn't touch the ground? How? 

That issue of long lengths was the very first thing I encountered when cutting, and I then immediately put together a media catch basket !!!

Anyway, from what you're saying, you have the vinyl going in and the vinyl coming out overlapping?

I need to see a video of this, I think.

I don't roll out that much. I roll out about 5 feet and it doesn't touch the floor. I am sitting directly in front of the cutter when it cuts. I never walk away while cutting. Every so often I turn around..still in my desk chair,and roll off a bit more

I have read of others sliding the roller through the tube for their 2 most popular colors and laying anything else on top of the 2 tubes.

Now there's an idea.

Clever.

==============================

OK< bannerjohn, I'm getting the picture of how you do it.

I need to walk away, I can't babysit the cutter. 

I'll go have some Coke, maybe crunch on some UTZ pretzels, do some weeding, talk on the phone, surf the web, go pee, check the mailbox out by the street, cut some substrates, whatever...

That is where you and I differ..I HAVE to rest often and it gives me a good excuse. I cut,then I install....it's that simple.

I might add....without getting out of my chair, I can swing around and get a Pepsi out of my small refrigerator....a cup of coffee from the pot on top of it//and one step away is my popcorn machine. I'll take some pics some day....

That is where you and I differ..I HAVE to rest often and it gives me a good excuse. I cut,then I install....it's that simple.

I might add....without getting out of my chair, I can swing around and get a Pepsi out of my small refrigerator....a cup of coffee from the pot on top of it//and one step away is my popcorn machine. I'll take some pics some day....

Yes, pics please. May need to redesign my workspace. Got a microwave handy too?

Yes, pics please. May need to redesign my workspace. Got a microwave handy too?

Yes,as a matter of fact I do....but it's a few steps....however, the cotton candy machine is right next to the popcorn machine.

• Like 1

You would have to see the basement to understand. IT;s not just one big open space....my cutting area is in a small alcove,which makes it easy to heat...but space is limited and I literally started out thinking like a camper or boat. I use every inch...shelves under the work table....every place I can put a shelf or drawers, I have.

• Like 1

Yes see. We need to see. At some point I want to work from home and just hit the flea market and festivals like I did in the beginning.

I would love to have a store front/shop..I did til I had to move up here to look after my mom. Being below her, I can hear every step she makes...if she falls, I hear it. If she starts moving things around ( a big problem ) I hear it. And the best part is, she can't get down the steps so I have privacy.

• Like 1