dogfightink

Seaworthy vinyl

Hi, can anyone recommend a good durable and seaworthy vinyl for a boat? Need to do a ship's name in black and would like it to last as long as possible.

Thank you

Phil

Oracal recommends 651, 751C and 951 on their website:

http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/en/products/plotter-films/marine-graphics-9765

The major differences are Life Expectancy and Shrinkage:

651 - 6 years - colors/transparent/black and white

Adhered to steel, no shrinkage in cross direction; In length, <.016”

751 - 8 years - black and white / 7 years - colors/transparent

Adhered to steel, no shrinkage in cross direction; In length, <.006”

951 - 12 years - black and white/ 10 years - colors/transparent
         Adhered to steel, no shrinkage in cross direction; In length, <.004”

Between 751 and 951 there seems to be a 30% price difference for about a 30% increase in life expectancy.

• Like 1

Seal pen you say, what is this item you speak of?

Mb20music answered this but I will elaborate a little. The sealit pen seals the edges of the vinyl to help edge curl, weather infilterating the edge of the vinyl. I have actualy started sealing my completed signs with frog juice to seal them and also to give them some more uv protection.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I am gonna pick up a pen for sure. I have frog juice that I use on some things but the pen seems like a nice tool for certain situations. Any idea how much material you can seal with one pen?

post-37959-0-17787700-1377958404_thumb.j

Ted, the Pen will last a while.. I bought one 2 years ago, and only use it on signs, but it has lasted me that long.. I got mine from Signwarehouse too.. Its popular for the gold Leaf vinyl, etc.. but I use it all my signs, because as mabscotthandyman  said, it seals the edges of the vinyl, thus keeping dirt from sitting on the edge of your letters and over time with heat and cold etc, weasling under the edge of your lettering causing it to roll, peel, etc..

• Like 1

I made decals for a sailboat several years ago ( Blow Me :) ) with Oracal 651 for a friend . They roam around in the Severn River and the Chesapeake Bay . The water is considered brackish in the rivers . They are still in good condition . I give people the choice price-wise of what vinyl , hence longevity . Around here , the high end boats always get names painted . The other stuff use vinyl and get sold enough that the names change , so no need for the longer lasting vinyl imho .

• Like 2