Dlriz

Disappearing font

Hi I am new to this forum and have introduced myself on the introductions section. I have a problem, I changed computers and downloaded the disc on my newer laptop. Now I had a layout that I needed to run off 10 more signs so I saved the job to a disc and loaded it and the jokewood font was turned into regular Helvetica extended for some reason. I checked the font list on the signblazer text and it is not there. But it was there on my old computer. This is strange. I tried to download it from the internet now I have Genieo toolbar, and it changed my homepage so I had to straighten that out. What should I do? I want to reinstall signblazer but I am afraid I will lose all my saved work. What a mess, where did jokewood go?

I am replying to myself LOL!! No, I want to add that I went into signblazer in my old laptop to make a sign with nothing but jokewood I wrote out the alphabet and numbers 0-9. all in caps because jokewood has no lower case. Saved it on a disc. Saved it on another disc also. Then for the weird part. I loaded it into my newer laptop and then I viewed the disc and voila....all Helvetica extended! WTH?:huh: I am perplexed. I give up. Too weird for me I think it is a poltergeist!

If new computer doesn't have the font installed it will choose a replacement automatically. Only way to avoid this when using files you don't have the font installed for is if when you originally save it you convert everything to curves.

so you are saying you have installed the jokewood on the new laptop prior to opening the file?   if you are trying to take it without installing the font on the new laptop you would have to change the fonts to curves first making it un editable but would import correctly for cutting.  If the font isn't on the new computer it will substitute another font that is on the new computer like the Helvetica

Jokerwood isn't one of the standard SBE installed fonts.

However, it's located within the system FONT folder located inside the WINDOWS folder on your old computer's hard drive.

Easy enough, just copy that font itself onto a USB thumbnail and then transfer by dragging it into the FONT folder on your laptop.

The font will have a TT (truetype)--  SignBlazer doesn't recognize the ones with an O (open type)

fontsxx.png

The font won't show up if it is not installed in the font directory in Windows.  Like Jay and dakota said the computer will choose a different font if it's not installed.  You should have gotten a message that popped up when you tried to open the file with Jokewood font used in it.  the message would have stated that windows can't find Jokewood and it will substitute Helvetica extended or another font you could have chosen.

Why can't you go into the font directory of your old computer and retrieve the  Jokewood font, load it on a thumb drive and install it on the new computer.

The best way to install a font on the computer is to open the font directory in control panel and install it in there.

Hope this helps.

That Genieo adware is so bad, I could not remove it. But cope with it finaly. More info about Genieo - http://www.macsecurity.net/view/56/

So what's this got to do with a font that's not on the hard drive.

I suggest that no one click on the link, unless you want adware.

• Like 1

So what's this got to do with a font that's not on the hard drive.

I suggest that no one click on the link, unless you want adware.

original post said he got the "Genieo toolbar" during a download - another reason to be careful which button you hit - lots of sites with "free" fonts have huge buttons to get you to download their malware . . . . especially if they are pay only fonts people get duped all the time

original post said he got the "Genieo toolbar" during a download - another reason to be careful which button you hit - lots of sites with "free" fonts have huge buttons to get you to download their malware . . . . especially if they are pay only fonts people get duped all the time

I should really read the original post before I make a statement.  Sorry.