arcticmonster

When to refuse a job?

a company called me up (an old friend).    Wanted to remove the vinyl from a 16' x 34" building sign.    

We are just a hobby shop and not insured (yet) or even geared to climb up ladders etc.

I politely told him, since he has contacts that if they can take it down, I would price the work.

I could have contacted a Sub Contractor to do part of the work I couldn't, but from what I got from the client was that this would be beneficial for me as experience (meaning, do it cheap) or exchange for some of his work.   I am all about gaining experience, but not at the thought of loosing money hiring other contractors.

How would you guys in the business longer than I, would have handled this?

our experience is in small car decals, banners etc, not climbing ladders and taking down signs.

price accordingly.  IE:  get a quote for someone to take the sign down for you, add in your price to do the actual work and then add the price to have the sign put back up.  Don't lose money on the deal.  Even for a friend that "might" get you some more work and who is "giving your experience".  You can adjust your part of the job down low if you wish.... but after you come up with your actual price for the whole job, if you don't really want to do it... just double it.  That will either deter your customer or get you a great job.

I was just on the phone with him and we will be working out a deal.  I will get a subcontract price for him and go from there. 

Glad you got it sorted out and if you ever decide to work for "experience" give me a call. I love free umm I mean educational helpers.

I havent run across this type of deal yet but my first thought would be tell him Ill call him back with a quote.

Call a few subs to get price to take down and put it back up

Add a % to cover any hidden issues with them

Figure my material and labor to do the sign

Give him a total stating this is the price for installing without any issues with the sign itself. Any issues will be added accordingly.

If he didnt like it, I would tell him he could knock off $XXX(price of sub plus added %) if he did that part of it.

• Like 2

YOU CAN DO IT! lol just kidding, you should really have insurance before taking on a job using ladders and commercial property. I get a little overwhelmed when people call me about things I have not done yet. An easy way is when you have to go and look at the job. Do some research first to find what factors need to be considered. Take pictures, measurements, and walk yourself through the process of doing the job so that you don't miss any aspects. Leave and do all the math, then double check your research to see if you missed anything. Ask questions on this forum! 

The subcontractor idea will definitely work but I hate to give money away. How high up is the sign? Your insurance might not be very much money and be worth going for. 

Ted S. it's about 12 / 14 feet high.   Even if I go up and get it, it's 1 piece that is 16' in length, so transporting it would be another issue.

never thought of that approach.    Now I have ideas on who to call and get some prices vs renting, etc...

The client did say, he understood we were just specializing in smaller items and will still come to us for smaller stuff and I will go to him for the stuff I can't make.

Have you priced how much it is to replace the substrate? After paying to transport and remove the vinyl from it you might be around the cost of replacing it. Have the supplier deliver to the job site and install your vinyl on location. 

If I rent a lift or boom lift I will set it up for a weekend I know the manager at RSC or Nations rent or what ever it is now that will give me about 2.5 days at a 1 day rental.

I have had US rentals take 4 days to come and pick up a lift. Just depends on how busy they are and if they need the equipment for another customer.