Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Paperman's Graphtec Update

For any of you that may be interested

After enough prodding, some begging and then a some help from Jay,  I took the cover off the graphtec again.  He gave me a tip on a test to try to possibly confirm or shoot down what the problem might be.  (as it turns out, graphtec diagnosed it wrong).  After the test, a light bulb appeared above my head and I had a new out look for this beast.

It turns out, the pen block WAS NOT BAD!!  Once that was determined, I took the top and side off this baby as I was diving in now.  It seems the magnet was NOT getting power as I had originally thought.... so at this point I was focusing on the thin, flimsy ribbon wire that went to the magnet.  After jacking with that for a bit and determining that is was fine, I starting looking around and contemplating.  I thought I would just check all connections and worst case maybe try to buy a replacement board for the cut head.

I moved on from the cutter head ribbon wire and will letting my eyes wander I noticed the big flat ribbon wire coming from the main board to the cut head board looked kind of funny where it attaches to the cut head board.  It appeared to not be seated right.  I removed the end and properly reinserted it to seat it properly and decided to run the test mode.....

Viola!!

Last night I purchased a blade holder for it online (remember it didn't have one) and while I am at it will be replacing the cutting strip (just because) and ..... and    I guess sell it.  (after I play with it for awhile to see how I like a graphtec compared to this SC.  I might just take the money and buy a smaller graphtec.  This 60 incher is a beast.  I was at the local sign shop the other day and they do all their work with a 24 inch.

To wrap it up.... I can not convey how impressed I am with this forum, the community here is awesome.  Sometimes I don't understand why so many people with so much experience, hang out here to keep helping the new people with the same problems over and over.  At times I witness them going over and above (in my opinion) to help people.  Like doing art work for them (because sometimes it is just faster and easier) to doing research for them to help with a problem.  I don't see how some of you find the time to spend so much time here, all hours of the day to help.

So, hats off to all of you that help out around here, but for the purpose of this particular thread and problem, I big thank you to Jay, who could not seem to get a good nights sleep until he either got a hold of my Graphtec (I think that was the main drive) or at least got it to work.  His prodding at me got me out of my chair messing with it.  

Thank you Jay!!  Our messaging back and forth is one of those things I mentioned about going above and beyond.  You didn't have to do that but you did.

• Like 1

And this is why I can't buy a cheap Graphtec. I'm actually glad you got it up and running and I'll bet you what that big boy sells for will get you real close if not over the price of a 24" unit. Next time you find a deal like that remember poor old Jay with his itty bitty 24" cutter LOL. Once you use it you may not want to sell it and having the extra capacity never hurts.

I'll bet it's a lot quieter than the SC.

Remember, bigger can indeed be better.

congrats - I will bet you will not let go of the graphtec until after you sell the sc and buy another graphtec - once you use one you just won't want to be without it.  Heck Jay would just as soon give up his wife as his new graphtec I think

I woke this morning limping around, seems I shot myself in the foot on this deal. Oh and no Mrs. Jay, seems I am not the nicest person to live with but my dogs love me :lol:

• Like 1

Today the blade holder and blades came in (that was fast for ebay and from ohio)  took a few tries to figure out how the blade holder went in properly and holy batman...... those blades are tiny compared to that SC.  Anyway, this control panel is a lot more complicated than the SC as well, took a few minutes to figure out my way around that, then, a few attempts at cuts..... after about a total of a half hour ..... I am getting results and quickly learning this thing on the fly.  I have not played with how small I can cut, but I will say this.... it is faster and QUIETER!

You'll be suprised at the way a graphtec cuts. As you said "QUIETER". Once you get it dailed in the fine detail cuts will amaze you. I think you will be hooked!!

• Like 1

like said above you will be hooked for life after trying the graphtec.

I think I see a value cutter up for sale now....,  Not the Graphtec... 

I actually don't mind the SC....  mainly at this point because it is simple and small (24")  This 5' graphtec is just intimidating to look at.

If I was smart, I would sell this graphtec and take the money and buy a newer model.  Maybe a 36 or 48.  Although, the local sign place in town gets by with a 24....

I have a 30" Graphtec.   42.5" total length.     I don't think so bad.  Yours isn't much longer than mine. If that is total length of machine.  5ft.  I would not downgrade to 24"    30" is just fine.  I have never needed wider, but I do a lot of 27-28" wide decals.  This why I have a bigger cutter.

Trade you the 24" I got from Dakota if you really want to go smaller. Maybe we can work something out. But to be fair mine is a vinyl express qe-60+ which is a ce5000-60 (correct me if I'm wrong on this) without the actual graphtec badge but identical in every other way. And maybe a little cash to boot.

Trade you the 24" I got from Dakota if you really want to go smaller. Maybe we can work something out. But to be fair mine is a vinyl express qe-60+ which is a ce5000-60 (correct me if I'm wrong on this) without the actual graphtec badge but identical in every other way. And maybe a little cash to boot.

The Vinyl Express Qe-60 has ARMS on it?  

No it doesn't but if you don't print there's not really any use for it anyways. But the value I would think is comparable to paperman's due to the age and condition. This thing is clean and low hours. Paperman, does yours have ARMS?

It is a beast and 100% dependable but I would like to step up to something a little bigger. I've been doing more 4x and 5x signs lately and it wound be nice to not have to design based on the size of my cutter. But I've got $800 in this 1 one wouldn't want to go upside down too much.