Sign in to follow this  
WHIT72

Am I in the right ballpark?

So this guy comes to me wants 24 t-shirts, two sided left front logo, six inch by ten inch on the back. I do the logo for him, takes about 60 minutes to design.

Ten bucks a piece, I tell him. The guy thinks he's getting robbed.

Four bucks a shirt, 1.70 in vinyl each shirt and I didn't charge for the artwork.

Seems fair to me.

I don't use clip art, everything is custom designed.

Your thoughts?

I told him to have a nice day. I don't work for peanuts, I don't pay my bills either by cutting vinyl, so I guess I can pick and choose.

Was I being stubborn?

$10 for white and $12 for color up to xl here but I do give 15% discount at 2 dozen. I'm assuming color shirts at the price you listed for them but either way that's a lot to pay for shirts to sell. If you have a bus. license check out sanmar, if not check out jiffyshirts.

These were safety orange and yellow, I don't usually buy in bulk, so I don't know the best places.

So we are around the same price. Yeah he can find someone else. I'd rather spend the day with my kid anyway.

Thanks Jay.

They have a word for working for free... slavery

I get between 15 and 20 per shirt here.  The "other" place in town is 20 to 25.

MY price is for the size print specified and can go up to $25 per shirt but size listed is pretty typical.

Our white tees w/ 1 jpss transfer run $9 up to xl and $11 2x-6x compared to 1 shop I know that start at $18 and uses cheaper shirts.

I charge $8 to $20, everything is based on how much material I use, how big the image is and the size of the shirt. And what process I use.

Having the ability to print pigment ink and JPSS. and 3G Opaque paper I try and stay at the low end, however bigger images means more ink and bigger paper. Having the DTG means I have to figure out ink and its about the same price as JPSS. And yes they do sell at that price. Vinyl Is a little different due to there's more throw out expensive with unused vinyl I figure the way you two do. When I screen printed though it was fun with charging for screen set up, I use to be yelled at cause I charged $25 per screen, and I said go to the guy in Milwaukee he will be $50 have a nice day sure as hell they would come back a couple of days later.

Really, I never even checked prices locally, I'm in the metro Boston area.

I price on what I feel I would pay, probably not the best practice.

I actually ask customers that order from me how much the other guys wanted and they'll usually tell me how much and what a deal I am.

It sounds like this guy was just trying to get you to lower your price but I could be wrong. It annoys me when I get this tactic from my customers. I am a straight forward guy and don't appreciate the fake "I usually get these for half that price". The questions I have for them are: why did you stop going to them? How happy were you with the product, service, and so on? There is always a reason that they didn't go back to the other guy or why the continued looking after getting a quote. 

I did an order recently for a local handyman - he wanted 20 shirts, all one color with single color text front and back.  I quoted him $10 each (I used $4 FOTL 50/50 tees in safety yellow from Wal-Mart and a few $5 Gildan 50/50 tees, also from Wal-Mart, to get all the sizes he wanted) and I felt that was a very fair price.  My cost averaged to $5.65 per shirt plus ~20 minutes per shirt in cutting, weeding pressing and folding, so I didn't make a huge hourly wage by any means.

He came back and wants 20 more, this time in safety orange, and I decided to order from JiffyShirts.com this time around and get all the same brand - their price, including shipping, is $3.45 per shirt.  Easy Weed price didn't change, so I'm looking at $4.85/shirt for round #2.  This time around, he only wants to pay $7 per shirt.  I told him that it's not worth my time to even discuss shirts at that price as I'm not going to work for less than minimum wage.  He is going to shop around because he thinks he can find cheaper.  I'm willing to cut him a deal and make the same profit I made last time, so I'd drop the price by the $0.80 per shirt that I'm saving in materials.  

It's true, you can often times find a screen printer who can quote you a per shirt price that is cheaper, but that price doesn't usually include the $20-50 "art setup fee", which isn't something I usually charge (especially for text only).  I'm sure he'll be back.

• Like 2

Surely at 10 bucks a shirt.... he will be back.  I don't see how people can do vinyl shirts for under 10.  There is almost not enough profit to even fire up the press. 

That's what I like about not being financially tied to this. I can have a price and that's the price if you want it cheaper, by all means that's your right, go find it.

• Like 1

People come to me because of screenprinter's setup fees, job minimums, charge for changing color mid job, etc. If your doing 50 exactly the same then by all means screen em but on odd jobs or short qty. I win on price every time.