Kelleybell123

Just Bought This Program And ???

So was at a yard sale today & seen something that caught my eye...its a pkg deal of 3 books and cds and weird(?) floppy discs of something called Corel Draw 5. I come to look up my "big" (?) find,and all I can see online is something called Corel Draw X5 are these the same thing? Does the X mean "version" or is it like a roman numeral where X means 10 and Corel X5 is really version 15?

Im really just wanting to know I didnt waste my pennies,lol. I use Adobe cS2 right now. Thanks for any info :)

corel draw 5 is the version I have and use it so little that I have never seen the need to upgrade. Load it and play with it, if you have a floppy drive.

They went up from Corel Draw 5 several times and started off with Corel draw X1 . X5 has been out awhile and it seems X6 was either released or talked about . I tried Corel Draw , but too fancy for me . I can do what I want much easier in SignBlazer ( FREE :) ) .

CorelDraw X was CorelDraw v10 as I recall, and each version since has been X1, X2, etc. up to X6, which is the current latest and greatest.

I started with CorelDraw 3 back a LONG time ago and upgraded to 4, then 5 and then 6 before switching to Xara's vector drawing program.  I'd still be using Xara's software if it were true vector based, but it's a mixture of vector and raster and a lot of the cool things I would create would not cut because they weren't true vectors... :-(

When I bought my Graphtec bundle from US Cutter, it came with CorelDraw X3 which I used up until a few months ago when I upgraded to X6 to try and get away from a few nagging issues in X3.... X6 fixed some, but not all, but it is 64-bit and runs much faster on my desktop, so overall I'd say it's worked out OK.

CorelDraw 5 is a very nice vector program that should be screaming fast on a modern PC - you won't be able to cut from within it like you can with newer versions (with the appropriate cutting plugin), but if you do nothing more than extract the clipart for use in your other drawing program, you've got your money's worth out of it.  It also should have a large collection of TTF fonts with it that will be useful, too.

Now, if you had gotten a yard-sale deal on Flexi Sign Pro, you'd have something to crow about.

So ok Im to understand that the X's mean 10 then so if I had X5 Id have something worth something. But just version 5 is not really worth my time to put it on my pc. Correct?

Corel 5 was introduced in 1994 so it's slightly older than sign blazer that so many on here use but I think the biggest drawback is a design area max of 35" square. Now for something to think about, if you were to buy a newer version most of what is in those books still applies so if nothing else you've got some study books and a vector program to try and see if you like it before upgrading. I just got away from 12 to X3 last month and there was still a bunch of stuff I don't know about 12.

Went from 8 to x3 to x4 then tied the demo of x6 and now own X5. I never looked back I have adobe cs3 I believe but I'm so fluent in Corel draw that I don't use cs3 much.