Sign in to follow this  
xpaperman

Sublimation printer question

I have an extra Epson printer in the closet.  Its a NX400.  I searched the big auction site and found a CIS kit for it.  The ads do not mention sublimation in them.  In fact the mention the kit comes prefilled with UV ink.  Is this what I need?  can I buy this and just dump out the ink in it and replace it with sub ink?  Is it that easy or not?  I would like to play with sub, especially if I can use an extra printer that have no other use for.

you want the high temp ink - the uv ink is probably just dye ink with a uv inhibitor - also make sure who ever you get your ink from provides profiles for thier ink = each ink will have slightly different colors and the profiles correct for that so your colors come out correctly

I had assumed the included ink was not the right ink.  I was wondering if I could still use the set up and just discard the ink and use the "right" ink.  It sounds from your answer that I can.  That being said, in regards to "who I get the ink from"  anyone have a place or person they recommend?  Thanks

You do NOT want to buy a CIS for one type of ink and then dump it out and try to refill it with the ink you want.  Period.  Different types of inks are made with different types of liquid carriers and there is no telling what will happen when you contaminate one type of ink with another - it is unlikely that the combination will be of a nature that is beneficial to you.   :lol:

You can purchase an empty CIS system off of ebay for most printers - I bought one for my printer for <$34 with free S&H and then filled it with Cobra Ink high-temp inks.  The CIS claims to hold 100 mL (3.38 fluid oz.) but a set of 2 oz bottles filled the tanks to 90% capacity.  A set of five 2 oz. bottles (2 black, cyan, magenta and yellow) was $75 including S&H, so for $109 I went from generic high-temp ink in refillable cartridges to a name brand high temp ink that I don't have to refill every few weeks.

Thanks OW.... I was wondering because for the model printer I have I did not see any that came "empty" without ink already in them.  They all seem to have that UV ink (for regular printing) already in them.  I will keep my eye out for a kit that is not "pre loaded"

The title says it's empty, but the description says it comes "PREFILLED WITH HIGH QUALITY GERMAN MATERIAL UV INK" - for $22, I'm going to guess that the title is correct and they overlooked a change when they copied and pasted...

Didn't notice that but all the pictures showed empty, guess he'll have to ask the seller and maybe can get empty even if ink is included.

was looking at cobra ink and didn't see my printer listed so I am unsure what to buy.  Guess I will contact them and make sure they can help me before I buy that kit.  Will double check to make sure it comes empty tho.  Thanks for the heads up

Tell Richard you are on the forum or give my name and he will give you 10% off anything you buy.  He will also steer you in the correct direction weather you buy it from him or not ...

This is a nice little printer this one shows pigment ink which you dont want but it has the ciss and like I said he will steer you in the correct dirction.  I have heard this is a great little printer.  I have not used one.  The only draw back is you wouldnt be able to print the bigger sizes like 13 x19 Biggest is 8 1/2 x 11... .

http://cobraink.com/Printers/epson30.htm

• Like 1