.:eMETAL:.

pricing help

So I received a job to letter a few local contruction trucks.  Simple lettering for the hood and each door of 2 new trucks.  Total of 2 hoods and 4 doors.

hoods measure 39" long by 4.5" high

doors measure 24" long by 11" high

I will have to buy some Oracal Gold Ultraleaf Cast vinyl which will run me about $136.99 here @USCutter as that is the material I have determined to have been used previously. 

Here's what I get to recreate...  I have nailed the font down to "commercial becker script" but also can't for the life of me find the ampersand used (may have to create it myself).

Just starting out and with many the fear of insulting someone with a high price is of concern; also I don't want to be shooting myself in the foot.  I know I'll need to charge out for vinyl, setup fee, and labor but have no idea what to really quote.

So what says the great forum of USCutter?  THANK YOU FOR ANY GUIDANCE!

post-42056-0-95198000-1369609523_thumb.j

post-42056-0-06521300-1369609530_thumb.j

Because of the upsell material I would say $200-$250 each truck.

If it had been plain old 651 I would have  been between $150 and $200 each. I rarely lose on price,  most times if I don't do it nobody does it. Every area is different as far as pricing but in my area that's where I'd need to be to compete.

Jay

Yeah I had it around $150 for standard 651 but that Ultraleaf isn't cheap so that's where I was getting lost.  Also been reading up on deposits and what folks around here are charging.  I know the area well with some of the big companies taking forever to get payments around having worked for my father's starter rebuild business on the accounting side.  Therefore I'm thinking of saying $500 total requiring a 50% deposit; or offering 10% off for upfront payment; making it $450.  Do you run into deposits and full payments?

I don't load vinyl in the cutter without at least 50% down and payment in full upon completion. I have had 1 person say they couldn't pay when I did their truck but when I explained their truck wasn't leaving until paid in full they suddenly decided it was best to pay. And they've been back and done more business with me w/o the BS form that episode. And NO CHECKS!!! Cash or plastic are the only way I take payments.

• Like 1

Thanks for all this reassurance.  It appears I'm on the right path and will provide a quote tomorrow.  Happy Memorial Day!

I still haven't decided whether to open tomorrow or work around the house. Guess I'll see how many calls I get and go from there.

This being a side business for me (well hobby at first and we'll see where it developes) I work my normal job as a Hotel General Manager.  Been in hospitality for 13 years now and for the last 5-6 I've thought about signwork.  Finally pulled the trigger on plotter/cutter and am having fun with it.  About to buy Adobe CS6 cloud as that's quite the bundle deal IMO!  I just can't get the hang of GIMP and Inkscape as I'm use to Adobe and the eps formatting more which is a great help seeing as nothing on my Mac reads eps.

I've had the store for 4 years but didn't devote my full energy to it til last June. I love it just need a teensy tiny little bit more money.

I can see already that space is a great factor in this line of business.  Already looking at building a table for weeding, transfers, and small applications. 

You're absolutely correct the more space I have the more crap I find to fill it with.

I can see already that space is a great factor in this line of business.  Already looking at building a table for weeding, transfers, and small applications. 

If the space is used right you can get by with less space . I am using a little less then 400 sq. Feet and have enough room but I have built all my fixtures for maxim space saving and ease of work . My table is 3x8 and has wheels and brackets for an extension to hook on with its own drop down support/legs my app table is vertical 2x6 with 1.25 holes for dowels rocky in to hold my substrate . Every thing is built to minimise bending .

yeah I'll have to build my own table like I said as I stand 6'8" tall.  No normal table will do for me for this type of work.  Plan to clear a spot in my garage for now just for the weeding and transfers.  My office can setup and breakdown very quickly with the cutter goin into it's own little corner and closet along with the vinyl.

I have a slightly different organization strategy, big piles everywhere...

• Like 3

If we have an earthquake the ensuing avalanche would probably bury me alive. But I know where everything is, well almost everything.

That isn't it exactly - Loci cola from dafont is close too but the R is different

This being a side business for me (well hobby at first and we'll see where it developes) I work my normal job as a Hotel General Manager.  Been in hospitality for 13 years now and for the last 5-6 I've thought about signwork.  Finally pulled the trigger on plotter/cutter and am having fun with it.  About to buy Adobe CS6 cloud as that's quite the bundle deal IMO!  I just can't get the hang of GIMP and Inkscape as I'm use to Adobe and the eps formatting more which is a great help seeing as nothing on my Mac reads eps.

I have an adobe creative cloud student membership and think its a great deal. I use Illustrator all the time to but only to convert eps files to SVG so I can use them in inkscape LOL. I also have Corel X3 and never use it. I just really hate the way the those programs zoom in and out. Plus everything works slightly differently and I have been using Inkscape for a few years now. I use a lot of the Adobe applications frequently though.

I don't have trouble collecting 50% of a job from businesses but when individuals call me they always want me to send them example pictures before they will say they want it. Huge pain in the rear, I am going to start telling them they have to come into the shop or pay half before I send them anything. 

mabscotthandyman, I would like to see your work space. Sounds like great ideas to utilize your workspace.

I have an adobe creative cloud student membership and think its a great deal. I use Illustrator all the time to but only to convert eps files to SVG so I can use them in inkscape LOL. I also have Corel X3 and never use it. I just really hate the way the those programs zoom in and out. Plus everything works slightly differently and I have been using Inkscape for a few years now. I use a lot of the Adobe applications frequently though.

I don't have trouble collecting 50% of a job from businesses but when individuals call me they always want me to send them example pictures before they will say they want it. Huge pain in the rear, I am going to start telling them they have to come into the shop or pay half before I send them anything. 

I have the samples watermarked with my image all over them if he want's me to send them to him :)

Looks like he will install them himself.  So I'm thinking about just saying $350. 

edit:  he took the self install price of $350.  Did I shoot myself in the foot?, maybe... but I'll make a little out of it and have a little of that vinyl on hand now to work with in the future.  He's already got 1 truck that's peeling badly so I'm sure he'll be back for more. 

looks kida like velvet regular from dafont.com

The font is definitely Commercial Becker Script.  Its a craptastic font to work with as the cursives don't truly connect so I had to edit the nodes and weld the letters.  No biggie.  But the ampersand is beyond me in finding.  I actually used Exmouth font's ampersand which I feel matches his logo better.  For the hood I have shortened the tail up a bit. 

Remember with self install you have a 50/50 chance of selling it to him again if they screw it up.

• Like 1

Remember with self install you have a 50/50 chance of selling it to him again if they screw it up.

Jay,

That was the very first thing that came into mind when I read that..