Sign in to follow this  
TimnAng

Hey Y'all!

I've been MIA!  I got lazy waiting on my friend to get our website up and running, and didn't do any designing or cutting for a bit.  Then, out of the woodwork, we got slammed!  (Still no website, mind you!)  A friend of ours has a son who races at High School level, so he's been having us make up a few simple decals for his car, just text, easy peasy.  And then another friend of ours was posting on a firearm related Facebook page, and came across a decal that everyone appeared HOT for.  I popped in to take a look at it, and see what it was they were looking for-  Said "sure, I can make that"... and before I knew it I had orders out the wazoo... Including a bulk order for 150 in various colors to be sold in a Michigan gun shop!  So we went from orders trickling in, and me wondering if the investment was worth it... to my head spinning and wondering how I'll ever get everything done.  Ha!!  

I looked everywhere and researched in hopes of finding information on whether this image had a copyright... I didn't find anything, anywhere, so of course I'm a little nervous and praying that it doesn't!  Especially considering the bulk order will be very public!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say Hey!  I'm still around and going to spend some time lookin' around and catchin' up.  Hope you all are stayin' busy, and enjoying the Spring weather!

I do a lot of business with a couple of gun forums, be careful a lot of what I get requests for are copyrighted (a lot more than are not). If you want to post it someone here should be able to tell you.

Sure, I'll post it, but moreso I'm wondering HOW you find out for sure whether an image is copyrighted, if it's not clear when you come across the image?  Is there an easy way to find out?  Obviously, I know with any brand names, logos, etc, but as for random images, how would one find out?  

Here's the image in question...

post-37278-0-13061100-1368210538_thumb.j

Also, if any of you know about this one as well, I'd appreciate it-

post-37278-0-30302300-1368210964_thumb.j

The UN helmet looks like it should be very easy to replicate - the MI holding a gun is copyrighted (everything is copyrighted by default) but figuring out who actually owns it is going to be the issue.

You should be able to find an outline of MI and an outline of a gun and kludge together something very similar - as long as you use different artwork you'll be OK - you can't copyright an idea, only the physical manifestation of it, so the idea of a state outline holding a gun can't be copyrighted.  I would also consider knocking out the white region inside the trigger guard and make that open to further differentiate it from the "original" - you'll just need to add an outline around the trigger and the inside of the guard.

Oh, and welcome back!  I wondered where you had disappeared to...

I did alter the image just slightly than the one I had originally been asked for... but the largest change was to add the U.P, instead of just the mitt.  As far as the trigger, the guy liked the solid white there- I, myself, thought it would look better as an outline.  The one I shared, is on the back of my husband's truck, and is what the guy who is ordering & the gun shop owners want.  So, I guess with the small changes I made, I'll go with it and hope for the best?!  

As for the helmet, I've been working on that file, and it seems easy enough.  The same guy wanted a dozen of those (for himself and friends, not the gun shop), so I figured I should check on that image as well... as I don't want to ship him 150+ decals, and get bit in the *ss because he was setting me up.

Thanks for your help!  And, thank you for noticing that I had gone MIA!   ;)  I plan to stick around... y'all can't get rid of me that easily!  lol