Smokem

Slowly trudging

So....

I bought a computer to dedicate to cutting
Corel X6
installed Sign Blazer
cut a couple of small signs (text)
cutter stopped cutting
read USC trouble shooting threads (a bunch)
watched You tube tutorials (A bunch)
got frustrated (a bunch) LOL
installed Inkscape... have been doing the tutorial for 3-4 hours now

This is not for the timid....  and it is not exactly a walk inda park

more reading and experimentation here.....
and oddly enough....  the stuff I wanna do is super easy.....
am beginning to question sanity of my decision......  B)

it gets a lot worse before it gets better........ lots of more videos, reading, researching, videos, reading, researching, videos, reading, researching, videos, reading, researching, videos, reading, researching, videos, reading, researching,... and did I mention lots of videos, reading, researching......

Trial and error is required. For me, I have to incorporate hands trials on with videos and tutorials in order to absorb the information. 

Sign Junky............  You are SOOOoooooo  Inspirational..........    :rolleyes:

what tutorial have you been doing for 3 or 4 hours? I want to do it!

coaster I have been working on a photoshop one for a couple of months a couple of chapters at a time LOL - I think I still have 5-6 to go when I get time - this time of year that gets hard though - just replaced brake cable on fourtrax, split 1/2 of the wood I have that needed split then came in and did orders

coaster I have been working on a photoshop one for a couple of months a couple of chapters at a time LOL - I think I still have 5-6 to go when I get time - this time of year that gets hard though - just replaced brake cable on fourtrax, split 1/2 of the wood I have that needed split then came in and did orders

I'm new to PS..... that's a very powerful program and it's just wild what can be done in it. Did you buys some videos or something??

I'm new to PS..... that's a very powerful program and it's just wild what can be done in it. Did you buys some videos or something??

I bought a training dvd - started from lesson 1 so I could fill in the gaps from where I was winging it - that was the hardest part as that is boring - but also picked up a few tidbits that make it worth it.  Trying to learn the right way not the "I think I can do it this way" way

I bought a training dvd - started from lesson 1 so I could fill in the gaps from where I was winging it - that was the hardest part as that is boring - but also picked up a few tidbits that make it worth it.  Trying to learn the right way not the "I think I can do it this way" way

I know what you mean. I had gotten some videos on Corel when I first started and the beginning lessons suck, but you will be surprised on something small that you can learn. I will check out some learning stuff for PS later..... but right now " I think I can do it this way" ;D

Oh man Im not interested in PS. I can barely get something done now with PS and thats good enough for me. When I get a fancy doosie big printer like you Ill learn photoshop.

Right now Im still trying to figuring out this vector thing! 

"cutter stopped cutting"

Let me just concentrate on this step.

What happens, exactly?

Walk us through it.

(what cutter?)

HI Cutters.....

So....  been watching You Tube with two Brit females.....  But their version is different than mine....  ugh

I think I am going to take the offer of a local signmaker/ cutter and go hang out with him....  do his weeding,

shop cleaning stuff in exchange for working knowledge  ...........  we had discussed it when I was thinking of
doing this.......

Slice....  I am reasonably certain it is the null cable deal....  gotta order up the whizzbang converter from USC...
I have read it here enough, that I am all but sure that solves the problem.......

Tanks all....

HI Cutters.....

So....  been watching You Tube with two Brit females.....  But their version is different than mine....  ugh

I think I am going to take the offer of a local signmaker/ cutter and go hang out with him....  do his weeding,

shop cleaning stuff in exchange for working knowledge  ...........  we had discussed it when I was thinking of

doing this.......

Slice....  I am reasonably certain it is the null cable deal....  gotta order up the whizzbang converter from USC...

I have read it here enough, that I am all but sure that solves the problem.......

Tanks all....

Nothing better than working with someone that knows what they are doing - you won't be sorry.  On the keyspan - why not put a serial card in a desktop or get a desktop with a serial port and have a dedicated cutting computer - always ready to go, not connected to the internet so no viruses to take it out . . . .and it doesn't have to be expensive as the cutters don't requite a powerfull computer

Nothing better than working with someone that knows what they are doing - you won't be sorry.  On the keyspan - why not put a serial card in a desktop or get a desktop with a serial port and have a dedicated cutting computer - always ready to go, not connected to the internet so no viruses to take it out . . . .and it doesn't have to be expensive as the cutters don't requite a powerfull computer

Smokem indicated that a computer dedicated to cutting is already part of their new setup.

Probably purchased a brand-new computer, instead of an older model that has a serial port, and runs WinXP, for $60.

Also, for people using SCALPro (not Smokem, who is using SBE) they cannot avail themselves of the option of a computer not hooked to the internet. From what I've seen, the entire SCALPro activation scheme depends on being online to function.

Smokem indicated that a computer dedicated to cutting is already part of their new setup.

Probably purchased a brand-new computer, instead of an older model that has a serial port, and runs WinXP, for $60.

Also, for people using SCALPro (not Smokem, who is using SBE) they cannot avail themselves of the option of a computer not hooked to the internet. From what I've seen, the entire SCALPro activation scheme depends on being online to function.

missed the dedicated part then - just add a serial card to the new computer and go.   I was suprised when the state bought new computers last year that the business compaqs were being built with serial ports - that was good as some of the medical stuff still used serial ports.  heck even the new laptops had serial ports!

With scalp once activated I don't think you need to be online again unless to deactivate.

It's almost funny.  I have had a PC type of computer since the days of a Big Hard drive being 20 Megabytes.

The computer is no stranger to me.  That said, I have no experience with art based programs at all.
This decal quest has been a tad bit daunting.  I tried to do my homework before jumping off the cliff.
I lurked in here for at least a couple of months, I stopped by a local Pro Sign shop and chatted with him.
I interviewed decal sellers at meets. I observed their displays and watched them deal with live buyers,

in pressure situations. 

In the end......  everybody I watched seemingly moved through all of this with no anxiety whatsoever.

I am beginning to think I should look into buying a professionally done tutorial.......
Designer, cutter Basics......  I simply have not been able to get my head around the basics.....

It's kind of like I need to have that pyramid type base understanding.....  Once that is in place
.....  everything else should fall into place quickly.

AND ....  thanks to all of you posting assorted problems and solutions to various issues.
This forum is very informative.

mark rugen has some great tutorials on flexisign,  it is a different world - all the images are made with numerical calculations so they scale perfectly - not at all like pixel based raster graphics.  it will come with practice, it just takes time and learning

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlexiSIGN-8-Training-CD-A-MUST-FOR-ALL-FLEXI-USERS-/300653923234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46005ecba2