xpaperman

Looking for a particular thread

I know I saw awhile back an instructional/tutorial thread on how to take a photo through to an cutable .eps file.  I thought that would be fun to try someday.... well, it appears someday has come as my wife wants one done for her Mother for Mothers Day....

I can't seem to find the thread as I don't remember the title, if anyone could point me to that thread that would be awesome.  Thanks

I know there's a feature in SignBlazerElements called "Image Cut" -- is that what you are referring to?

No slice, that was not it.  I have not tried that tho but I will.  I thought they had mentioned about converting it to mono chrome or something.  Seemed like it was several steps to get there.  I will give the image cut a try and see what I come up with.

Actually, it may have been the thread from a few days ago, I think the photo that was used was from the persons wedding, they were sitting on a motorcycle, her in her dress and he was tweeking on the dress to get the image right.

I don't recall if it was in the Instructional forum or not, but I talked someone through how I converted a full color picture of my dog to a monochrome cut-able vector...

Like this:

post-24492-0-11532800-1367713702_thumb.j

Is that what you're talking about?

• Like 2

Yes OW, that is what I am after.  I remember that photo as well.  I suppose how I get from photo to cutable vector is not important as long as I get there.  I have corel3, signblazer and scalp at my disposal. 

You need a raster art program like Corel Photo Paint or PhotoShop, plus a program capable of tracing raster graphics into vector graphics.  If you have the Corel X3 suite, then you're all set.

1) Find a picture that you want to convert.

post-24492-0-48216300-1367796266_thumb.j

2) Using your raster art program, cut away as much of the background as possible and leave only the part you want in the final image.  If your subject is light colored, then leave a tiny dark border around so there will be something left to cut.

post-24492-0-89853800-1367796269_thumb.j

3) Once you've got your image pared down to just what you want, convert it to grayscale

post-24492-0-02673100-1367796433_thumb.j

4) Then use the Brightness and Contrast controls to maximize the contrast - you're goal is to get all the dark parts black and all the light parts white - you will need to tweak the brightness settings along the way to maintain detail.  I dropped the brightness to -50 and raised the contrast to 100 to get this:

post-24492-0-88994800-1367796541_thumb.j

5) Then convert the image to monochrome (2-bit color) and review how it looks - if you're not happy with how it's turned out, then Undo and go back and tweak the brightness/contrast settings.  If you've optimized the brightness and contrast settings, then there shouldn't be a significant change when converted to monochrome.

6) Then save your file (with a new name!) and import it into whichever raster tracing program you use and let it start tracing.

7) Cut that sucker out!

You can also do a "trace" in Inkscape.

I do have the corel suite with corel photo paint!  I will have to give it a go and see what happens.  If I have a decent turn out I will post up a pic.  THANKS!

Following post on here is kinda like hide and seek. Never know where the question or answer may have originated but that's what makes it so fun.

• Like 1