Sign in to follow this  
johnandpam

New to the cutting thing

Hey everyone, my wife and i are new to this and just looking to cut decals and that kind of thing. It would be nice to make a few bucks with it, but we dont expect to make a living, we both have jobs. Maybe some suggestions on places to buy vinyl , colors to stock, and so on and recommendations on how to get started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

UScutter.com  is the best on prices and shipping..  How to get started?   Read here.  Tons of info...  Best colors?  it depends on what avenue you are going., what you plan on making. ..Decals are made made for inside and outside.   Welcome,  all the info is already here a zillion times.  take some time to read....  Watch videos on youtube.com    

thanks skeeter, i appreciate any help, and i've been trying to watch the video's. So far i think i've learned most from trial and error, but picked up some stuff off the video's. It's been hard to find clip art that works well, and kinda found out you have to try and design alot of stuff yourself. I was cutting some stuff a little every night for practice and then i did one on some vinyl i had gotten from another company and the edges of the cut seemed a little jagged, i wasn't sure if it was the clip art and i didnt notice it, or if the knife was getting dull. I couldnt find anything that would tell me how long the knives go for and so on.

Blades are dirt cheap, keep a supply of them on hand and replace them whenever you feel they are "tearing" rather than slicing cleanly.

Hey everyone, my wife and i are new to this and just looking to cut decals and that kind of thing. It would be nice to make a few bucks with it, but we dont expect to make a living, we both have jobs. Maybe some suggestions on places to buy vinyl , colors to stock, and so on and recommendations on how to get started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Decals of what designs?

Skulls?

Dragons?

Tribal art?

Horses? Unicorns?

Give us some guide as to what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're looking for clip art for your designs, check my post in the Graphics Request forum - http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/39774-are-you-ready-for-some-clip-art-links-to-free-clip-art/  If you still can't find what you want, post in that forum and we'll try to help you out.

If you're worried about your blades going dull, then check out www.cleancutblade.com and order a couple of blades appropriate for your cutter.  Be sure to tell them that you saw them on this forum to get the forum discount.  If you're going to be cutting primarily smaller designs, I recommend the 60° blades.  I use 60° blades for everything since I switched.  Their blades last longer than the cheap ones and are sharper, too.

Welcome to the world of vinyl cutting!

• Like 1

slice and dice, i dont really know, i suspect a smattering of skulls , tribal, ect... , kinda whatever peaks the interest of people that may want to give a couple dollars for a decal. I'm sure not ready for anything big, like business windows or anything.

jones, great info, i was wondering about that angle thing with the knives i've seen. i'll go check out the clip art. Sounds like i need some blades around for sure.

slice and dice, i dont really know, i suspect a smattering of skulls , tribal, ect... , kinda whatever peaks the interest of people that may want to give a couple dollars for a decal. I'm sure not ready for anything big, like business windows or anything.

I have enjoyed using the 10-DVD set of 34,000 ready-to-cut graphics that I obtained on eBay for $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321102578065

Yes, Hello and Welcome to an awesome forum.  There is plenty of information and the members are very helpful.