GraphxNMore

Total rookie here - forgive me

I've found a few free images for decals to cut. Some came out perfect after tracing, yet most don't end up nearly as accurate as the original jpg or bmp files. The letters on some come out rounded instead of block. I also did a POW MIA logo and it cut it three times before it finished. I've watched several videos, but none seem to answer the problem I have.

I'm using Inkscape and SCAL Pro.

as a rule you don't trace text you have to find the font and replace it. Then the text letters will be sharp

Sometimes when you vectorize something, it will put more than one line around the image. I find that Corel does that a lot. You can't even see it in wireframe. Just ungroup everything in your image, then drag each line to the side to see if you have more than 1 line there. If so, that's were your multiple cuts are coming from.

as a rule you don't trace text you have to find the font and replace it. Then the text letters will be sharp

It isn't just text. The POW MIA logo has a link chain that came out different looking as well.

If your jpg or any raster/bitmap is not high quality, then none of the vectors will come out as clean as the original. You will have to clean the image up manually, find an original vector, or find a better jpg file.

If your using inkscape for your design work, I think you might be using the wrong options when you trace your design. Use the first option "brightness cutoff" And make multiple scans of the image with different thresholds. Move them all off the original after you run the scan each time. Once you get at least 6 scans, then you can compare them and pick the one that will require the least tweaking. Youll never get it perfect but youll get close.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that SCALPRO had a built-in trace/vector option that was very good, so why use Inkscape to do it at all?

I was under the impression that SCALPRO had a built-in trace/vector option that was very good, so why use Inkscape to do it at all?

Because it will not import jpeg or bmp that I've found  I can only import png and svg. But I am a total virgin to this. LOL

Because it will not import jpeg or bmp that I've found  I can only import png and svg. But I am a total virgin to this. LOL

Have you fully activated and updated your version of SCALP?  You must.  There has been many updates to SCALP since intro.

We use Inkscape, SCALP and Make the Cut.  I've had the best luck with MTC, as far as the cleanest trace... but keep going back to Inkscape because it's what I've used the longest.

Ang