stdutcher

Need advice, looking to buy my 1st cutter

Hello, I'm new to the forums and new to the world of cutters,I'm looking for a entry level  cutter that that I can use to make some airbrush stencils,Like flames,skulls and fairys and also some scroll saw patterns,but also something my wife can use for her classroom(she teaches 5th grade)  Thanks

Welcome.

Over and over I see the advice that a 24" cutter is enough, and in your case, since you want some portability (for your wife to take into her school sometimes), it seems that size is logical.

Also, if you're a fan of fantasy & skulls, I highly recommend this investment --  (it has plenty of vectors you'll want) ---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321058027026

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="slice&dice" data-cid="297706" data-time="1358531703"><p><br />

Welcome.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

Over and over I see the advice that a 24" cutter is enough, and in your case, since you want some portability (for your wife to take into her school sometimes), it seems that size is logical.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

Also, if you're a fan of fantasy & skulls, I highly recommend this investment -- (it has plenty of vectors you'll want) ---<br /><br />

<a href='<a href='http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321058027026'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321058027026</a>'><a href='http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321058027026'>http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321058027026</a></a></p></blockquote><br />

<br />

Hello and welcome . A 24 inch cutter would suffice in 95 percent of any thing you would want to do even the larger sign shops stock mostly 24 inch vinyl and order wider only when the need arises if you should need a larger then 24 inch cut you can always tile your cuts . This being said buy the best and probably the largest you can afford . Good luck on your new venture and I would advise taking your time to research the difference between the different cutters and quality grades before buying . the guide that mz Skeeter posted above will help again good luck .<br />

<br />

Dan

Thanks For advice here is a sample of what I'm looking to make into a stencil and window sticker so maybe that will help Thanks again

post-35662-0-27690700-1358550719_thumb.j

The text is really simple most of the programs that come with cutters will do simple text . The skulls would need vectorised before cutting . Or you can find clipart disc with skulls already vectored plus there are some skulls in graphic request .

Dan

I put my bid on the "HUGE MEGA VECTOR CLIPART FOR SIGN VINYL PLOTTER CUTTER" on eBay and I looked at the list of cutters  the MH series is more my price range but will it cut what i need or do i start looking at the SC series

I put my bid on the "HUGE MEGA VECTOR CLIPART FOR SIGN VINYL PLOTTER CUTTER" on eBay and I looked at the list of cutters  the MH series is more my price range but will it cut what i need or do i start looking at the SC series

That DVD collection normally sells for around $60, I hope you put in a bid at least that high.

It's well worth it, with thousands of cuttable files, including sharks, frogs, dragons, racing stripes, Kanjii and nude girls.

The MH will do what you want. I opened my own sign store last year with that equipment, and it worked perfectly well.

Welcome.

Over and over I see the advice that a 24" cutter is enough, and in your case, since you want some portability (for your wife to take into her school sometimes), it seems that size is logical.

Also, if you're a fan of fantasy & skulls, I highly recommend this investment --  (it has plenty of vectors you'll want) ---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-AUCTION-HUGE-MEGA-VECTOR-CLIPART-FOR-SIGN-VINYL-PLOTTER-CUTTER-/321058027026

Any chance someone who has this collection could post the .pdf that shows all the images on the disc?  I'm interested in the disc but want to be sure it has the type of graphics I'm looking for.  I've got a tight budget right now and want to ensure I'm spending my money on the right items.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="smendlik" data-cid="297748" data-time="1358605228"><p>

Any chance someone who has this collection could post the .pdf that shows all the images on the disc? I'm interested in the disc but want to be sure it has the type of graphics I'm looking for. I've got a tight budget right now and want to ensure I'm spending my money on the right items.</p></blockquote>

Most of the time the vendor has a downloadable list of the clip art with jpegs

That seller has a section on their websites where you can download a bunch of free vectors from each of the categories so you can get a sample of what you will be purchasing. You can get them here

Also for the Mega-Vault with the buy it now of 99$ or best offer they have here. If you make an offer of $60 they will accept it right away. Well worth the money.

Each DVD has several categories with the various graphics inside folders (both .jpg and .eps), and each category comes with its own .pdf catalogue.

You're looking at over 30,000 different vectors, and that's a ton.

It takes a while to get a feel for what's contained on those 10 disks. I spent several hours going into the disks, loading each one, opening the .pdf files, and making notes (indicating which specific items I thought were the best or most useful)

I didn't intend to hijack this thread with an in-depth discussion about vector art, but without a doubt, having a collection of many different cuttable vectors is the life-blood of many graphics professionals. Just look at many of the threads here on the Forums and it's a common theme.

Let's put this into the context of the Opening Post (where a 5th-grade teacher is trying to introduce a cutter into the classroom) --

Wouldn't she love to have at hand a collection of dolphins, butterflies, birds, fish, flowers, horses, sharks, turtles, dragons, lizards, snakes, stick-people, as well as cars & trucks !!! The possibilities are endless.....

The MH is a good cutter..I have had 3 and never any problems...but for the small difference in cost, the SC cutters are more solid and better-made. And that's not just my opinion, but from the people who service the cutters

• Like 1

I would like to Thank everyone for all the input , I have yet to buy a cutter still looking there are so many that do so many things and when you look at price its like a 50 or 60 more for this and so on lol ,I'm now looking at the " Refurbished - USCutter LaserPoint" any info on this cutter ?  Thanks again for all your guys help

I can't offer an opinion on the Laserpoint as I have yet to order anything but I'll tell you that for the 34" SC, which I plan on buying, it's only $30 more to buy a new one with the stand than to buy a refurbished and a stand (which is designed for the 24" so you cannot use the rollers).  Doesn't seem worth saving $30 for the hassle with the stand.  I think the refurbs used to be cheaper but went up within the last week or two.

My advice. Buy a US Cutter SC for 300 bucks and cut, and cut, and cut. When you're done with that, you'll know what to do next.

well it looks like the SC cutter is the way to go and  will be getting a new one with the stand cause I have seen tons of responses mainly from  

slice&dice and  Mz SKEETER that state  you will regret not having one lol , thanks guys for all the help Ill for sure post some pictures thanks again