wagspe208

Cutter "needs" vs "wants"

Another "what cutter question". Sorry. I have been searching and reading, so not just going in half assed.

Use: Race decals, boat/ truck numbers, misc. decals and print. Maybe T shirt stuff-- need to understand more. Not production for sure. I am not going into business.

Budget: Well, I don't want to spend 2k on a cutter. I could.. just don't want to. I am not opposed to buying used from someone with a GOOD reputation. Not gonna ebay something from joe cutter.

Software: I am not an artist. Notg trying to be. More "simple stuff" but my brother in law is talented... so software suggestions?

I am also a picky bastard. I want to turn the machine on, use it, turn it off. I don't want to screw with settings every time I use it, cheap vinyl, etc. So, decent minimum equipment. Good to great preferred.

So: it seems as contour cutting is very helpful at a minimum... more realistically necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Wags

Another "what cutter question". Sorry. I have been searching and reading, so not just going in half assed.

Use: Race decals, boat/ truck numbers, misc. decals and print. Maybe T shirt stuff-- need to understand more. Not production for sure. I am not going into business.

Budget: Well, I don't want to spend 2k on a cutter. I could.. just don't want to. I am not opposed to buying used from someone with a GOOD reputation. Not gonna ebay something from joe cutter.

Software: I am not an artist. Notg trying to be. More "simple stuff" but my brother in law is talented... so software suggestions?

I am also a picky bastard. I want to turn the machine on, use it, turn it off. I don't want to screw with settings every time I use it, cheap vinyl, etc. So, decent minimum equipment. Good to great preferred.

So: it seems as contour cutting is very helpful at a minimum... more realistically necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Wags

Something that prints and cuts is WAY more than your budget.

Now as for a cutter, I tried a couple of the "off" brands and I learned my lesson. I sold my last one and bought a Graphtec and could not be happier. But by time you by the cutter and then get to a decent level of software that actually does more than basic lettering you'll surpass $2000. And if you want to do print and cut you'll be over 10k if you want new.

Oops, poor sentence structure. I meant print as in lettering print.. not printing. Sorry. New guy.

So, you are saying the graphtec 5000 is minimum?

Wags

You will not be sorry getting the Graphtec. It will do what you need and more. Just take your time setting it up. US Cutter has a package deal on the Graphtec CE-5000-60 that has all you need to get started. Look into Signblazer for your cutting. It's free!

Copam or Zen is the best bang for the buck . Graphtec is worth the difference if you can justify it . I have had GREAT service out of the 2 Copams I have . " IF " I was to update ( both got stolen etc ) , I would buy the Zen at least & most likely spend the extra bucks for the Graphtec with all the extras USCutter gives in that deal . I would always have the thought that buying 2 Copams would be a much more practical thing to do ( same expense as 1 Graphtec ) . Software ... I have used SignBlazer for 4+ years & very satisfied . It is getting dated , but will always work as it is now . When the last hurdles of SignBlazers replacement are accomplished , the glitches with the new EPS files etc won't need a few extra steps to overcome . SignBlazer is a very powerfull software & SUPER easy to use . Flexi Pro if you can justify it , is the best available now .

So, I just click on the CE5000-60 and hit add to cart? That is everything I need to start making letters?

I also assume since graphtec is mentioned time and time again it will lose some value, but not half or anything like that?

See "The Blower Shop" sticker in the second post... I assume that is a printed sticker? Not a cut thing? So, not something to be done with the CE5000?

Thanks

Wags

Oh, what other supplies should I order? Some other vinyl? Anything else? Which vinyl?

Thanks

You could do that sicker in two layers, easy.

As far as clicking and buying, I would go out and look at the different versions of Flexi and see what level will do what you want. I started Lxi apprentice (signwarehouse house brand of flexi) and quickly learned I needed to upgrade and am now up to the top tier of it master plus. I found another software company that does a program called VinylMaster, downloaded the demo and really like the program. They have over a 100 videos on youtube to teach you how to use the program. Guess my point is do some homework and look around. And while US Cutter is a good company I chose to buy mine local for the support, if I have an issue or need some guidance it's a short drive and they are more than happy to help. Plus I got a smokin' deal on my CE5000-60.

So, I can download Signblazer now and check out the software?? Without having a cutter? And see if it will suit my needs to start?

Wags

yes, you can download Signblazer now.. Go to the Signblazer thread and download the all cutter version, download in first post.

So what are thoughts on the Graphtec cameo sillouhette deal or the robo pro cutter? The robo pro is 15" and based on the CE5000. Cameo software?

Thanks

Wags

my thoughts, Is this what you really want? You would be very limited on size. When people see that you have a vinyl cutter, they will also be wanting you to do decals. And getting paid will justify the price of the 24" Graphtec. I have a 30" Graphtec, and have never needed larger. But would never want a 24" either. So 15" would definitely be out of the question for me.. Just too limited on size. I think you would be disappointed right away. Someone else on here purchased a 15" and was sorry they did right away..

Hmmm... that is why I am asking. 15" to small??? Even for "hobbiest" or casual user? I assume you know better based on experience.

Wags

the CE5000-40 max cutting width is 14.76" according to spec sheet.. If you think that is all your will need and in your budget, jump on it. Your the only one who can be happy with it..And know what you need. And in your budget.

Signblazer all cutter version,, sorry third post down user CUTME works fine.

This is probably the best option to download and install Signblazer -- it's with a crack to eliminate the nag screens at start-up.

http://www.mystat.com/Signblazer.zip

(you'll need Jzip and MagicISO, get those onto your computer first, and then run BOTH installers for SBE, and apply the crack)

This is probably the best option to download and install Signblazer -- it's with a crack to eliminate the nag screens at start-up.

http://www.mystat.com/Signblazer.zip

(you'll need Jzip and MagicISO, get those onto your computer first, and then run BOTH installers for SBE, and apply the crack)

^^ almost above my head already. HA

Wags

So, I am convinced to go with the Graphtec CE5000-24". Is there anything it won't cut I may need? Will I do heat transfers onto t shirts?

My sister has Corel express or something like that. Corel something. Will that be ok to start?

Still working on signblazer. The link in the 3rd post is infected! YIKES

Vinyl-- they seem to be rated by lifespan or something. Are some better even cheaper?

What do I NEED to start? Weeding kit? Application stuff? Vinyl (duh).

I know... all simple questions. Thanks for the patience.

Wags

I have used that link many times. nothing wrong with it. Any download with a crack/trial in it will show as a virus. Turn off your anti virus software.

That Graphtec 24" Bundle on UScutter site had many extra items with it.

This package includes the following FREE supplies and software at NO EXTRA CHARGE!

(These items will be added automatically when adding your cutter to your cart.)

• 12 color pack GreenStar 24" x 5yd
  • ClipArt deSIGNs Ultimate Ornaments MEGA Pack
  • Weeding & Application Starter Kit
  • CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 OEM

OK, got the signblazer installed. WOW. Take a while to learn that. Also downloaded the Graphtec Robo Pro thing.

Wags

The Graphtec CE5000-60 (24" version) package from US Cutter has EVERYTHING you need to get started doing professional quality vinyl decals and lettering. The only thing not in the boxes (3 large, heavy boxes) is a computer and the knowledge/experience, but you can glean a lot of that from reading these forums. The Corel Draw X3 with Graphtec's Cutting Master plug-in is a vast improvement over Inkscape & SignBlazer in my opinion. You can do all your design work in Corel and when you're ready, cut directly from there without having to worry about exporting into special file formats, etc.

The vinyl that comes with this package (a dozen different colors of 24" x 10' rolls) is a great starter vinyl for practice and getting your feet wet, but you'll find most people upgrade to Oracal brand vinyls and recommend those for vehicle decals or anything else that will be used outdoors. GreenStar vinyl is cheaper than Oracal, but when you look at the actual cost per square foot, the cost difference is pretty trivial and it's well worth it for the longer life and much broader color selection that Oracal offers.

I just bought that package a few months back after being generally disappointed with the cheap cutter I bought off of ebay. It was slow, loud and not capable of small details. It was a HUGE difference right out of the box. If you can afford it, then I can't think of any good reason not to get a Graphtec.

With regards to the multi-color decal you mentioned in an earlier posting, as long as you're sticking with solid, primary colors like that (white, black, purple) it's fairly simple to do multi-color decals with only a cutter. It will take some practice to get it right, but do a You Tube search for "layering vinyl" and you'll find plenty of videos that show how it is done.

• Like 3

So, OW.. you are relatively new to cutting? What was your design experience? Much, some, tons? Sounds like you have been there done that recently.

I have decided I will just order the package from US Cutter. The local shops don't come close in price. I am somewhat sad by this as I like to do bsiness "locally" whenever possible... but cash is cash. They are substantially higher. Like over 100 plus tax.

Anyway...that is where I am right now.

Do you guys actually do/ use the heat transfer vinyl stuff?

Wags

Not only cheaper , but you will feel better being loyal to the company that pays the bills for this forum :thumbsup: I do use the heat transfer vinyl but easier/practical to buy tranfers if more than a couple or multi colored . The printed stuff is light years ahead of heat transfer vinyl .

OK, got the signblazer installed. WOW. Take a while to learn that...

There is an instruction manual available.

As for the essential question you are asking -- "What else is NEEDED...?" Let me answer with this advice --

Keep in mind the following two items, which are fairly standard in the cutting game:

1. Cutting mat (2' x 4' is a practical size to have)

2. Application tape dispenser

(several different types available, here is one -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Application-tape-holder-vinyl-signs-supplies-/160862804284)