GET Longboards

New SC Cutter Am i too picky?

I just got my SC cutter 2 days ago and ive been cutting quite a bit of vinyl but im noticing that the diagonals are slightly jagged. Its not super noticeable but if you look closely you can see that its slightly jagged. Ive tried 3 in 1 in the blade holder, my vector is fine, slowing the cutter down does seem to help.

Im running it at 300 mm/s with the pressure anywhere from 25-60, blade at half credit card thickness. Anyone with an sc cutter that has found a sweet spot?

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

Is the cutter grounded? Are you running usb or serial port? Could also be the file itself.. Tell us what OS, and what programs to vector/cut and we'll be able to help you more...

Not grounded, serial on an xp OS using inkscape to Vectorize and clean nodes and using signblazer for cutting and sizing only(Sizing shouldn't matter because its a vector file). I'm positive its not the file because i have a perfect diagonal in my file (No nodes between) Also i didn't mention that it does it when i do the cutters test cut, so i'm sure its not the file. I think my problem is blade pressure or cutting speed. So hopefully someone with an sc will chime in with their settings.

ohh and i forgot to mention my offset is at .25mm

Stepper motors move at certain spots & that is more noticable up on bigger decals . servo motors like Zen grade & above move gradual & don't have that problem . You may be having another issue , but you will have the stepper motor issue no matter what . I am certain only the decal maker notices the difference , especially in smaller decals .

• Like 1

Stepper motors move at certain spots & that is more noticable up on bigger decals . servo motors like Zen grade & above move gradual & don't have that problem . You may be having another issue , but you will have the stepper motor issue no matter what . I am certain only the decal maker notices the difference , especially in smaller decals .

I think this must be what it is. thanks for the help!

It is absolutely the stepper motor --- and I must make a remark here that my other budget cutter (MH871 which also has a stepper motor) is nowhere near as jagged when cutting on the diagonals.

That MH got placed to the side and isn't being used currently since I obtained this SC unit, but honestly, I preferred the quality of the MH cuts --------- and as long as I'm venting here, the vinyl tracking on the SC is murder to align properly.

I'm saving up for a Zen, and that's that.

It is absolutely the stepper motor --- and I must make a remark here that my other budget cutter (MH871 which also has a stepper motor) is nowhere near as jagged when cutting on the diagonals.

That MH got placed to the side and isn't being used currently since I obtained this SC unit, but honestly, I preferred the quality of the MH cuts --------- and as long as I'm venting here, the vinyl tracking on the SC is murder to align properly.

I'm saving up for a Zen, and that's that.

I got my blade dialed in and set my speed to 200mm/s and its a lot better. I have a theory for why your mh cuts cleaner diagonals then your sc: Looking at your MH, the blade holder is plastic and the clamp for the blade holder is plastic. My theory is that the plastic offers some give which will help combat the stepper motors no fluid motion. Comparing the bladeholders (you could do a better comparison since you have both) the MH's looks weaker than the sc.

I havent had many issues with tracking.

Could the vinyl im using cause more jagged cuts? Im using Greenstar Intermediate Calendered. I have some Oracal But its a matt finish so its a little hard to tell if the cut quality is better or not.

Could the vinyl im using cause more jagged cuts? Im using Greenstar Intermediate Calendered. I have some Oracal But its a matt finish so its a little hard to tell if the cut quality is better or not.

I would say yes, Greenstar is a cheaper vinyl, A good name brand vinyl would be a good way to set up your machine..

• Like 1