Sign in to follow this  
wilson750

Who use's the heat press's in here?

Once again id just like to get some feedback!! I am new to all of this..How many of you make shirts from vinyl? Is it worth it? I was looking to buy a heat press,just wanted to get some feedback!! How long does this vinyl last on the shirts? any info would be great!!

Hi

My name is Joe and t-shirts is what I do. I use t shirt vinyl and a heat press every day. I used to do screenprinting but got tired of the emulsion mess, the time consuming procedure and stuff.  I discovered t shirt vinyl and ever since I have been in love with it. The best thing about it is that you can make custom one-of- a kind shirts.

Is it worth it? Well that depends on you, on what your goals are and what use are you going to give it. To me it has been the best investment ever along with the cutter (a Refine by the way). Do you have a market? Are you talented in fashion stuff? Do you see yourself making and enjoying t shirts? Those are the questions you have to answer. To me it is my main business, for others it makes a great supplemental income to their sign/decal businesses.

How long they last? Depends on what vinyl you use and how well you follow instructions. If you use a good vinyl and apply correctly, it is expected to last as much or more than screenprinting. I have read it can outlast the shirt.

I have soooo many t shirts with vinyl and I have never had any peeling off or anything. I think this also depends on how you care about them.

Browse in the show your work section, I've posted a few shirts there.

If its worth it. Only you know.

Joe

I have a couple navy blue sweatshirts that we put white heat applied vinyl on and 2 years later the shirt is fading and the vinyl is as good as the day we pressed it on.

I definitely don't think you will be disappointed, but than again that's my personal opinion.

We do own a heat press and love making shirts. 

Jenny

in my opinion it is definitely worth it....I enjoy doing shirts more than signs...AND I love doing signs

I have had my heat press for about 4 weeks now, and I have already sold 14 shirts and 5 aprons,  and have 2 orders of 12 for 2 more companies coming up.

BUT like JoeCamaro said you have to have the talent for design and be able to make something better than your competition screen printer can do.

You can take great pride in seeing someone wearing what you have created!!

I sell one color designs for $18 per shirt and after they see the first one they order more

ALSO research and find you a good blank tshirt wholesaler to maximize your profit margin...do good work and the shirts will sell themselves.

Greg

Guest fivestar

Heat press vinyl is definitely a great way of doing shirts with small runs of like 15 and less.  I have one and like it very much, personally I think there is more $$$$ in doing signs and decals but shirts are definitely a money maker.

I recently received my heat press and I have been making some t-shirts. I use heat transfer vinyl and just started with using transfer paper also. I just print with my Epson 88+ with pigment inks. The full color prints are very impressive so far with the paper I am using. 3 washs in and it looks just as good as when it was pressed on!

I recently received my heat press and I have been making some t-shirts. I use heat transfer vinyl and just started with using transfer paper also. I just print with my Epson 88+ with pigment inks. The full color prints are very impressive so far with the paper I am using. 3 washs in and it looks just as good as when it was pressed on!

Post pictures or it never happened, and you'll be banned!!!  :P

I got my heat press today!!    :P

Now I have to go try it out.

Glad to hear it made it.

:)

There has been a lot of talk about heat presses lately, even mentioned about uscutter selling them. Where are they located on the site? I can only find the cutters and parts.

Hi All , i bought a heat press before USCutter started selling them ( wish i had waited ) . I am just getting started using it . It looks JUST like the multi-heat press USCutter sells  . I ordered some pre-made decals . set the press at 380 F & did 10 seconds like Boo-Z Wearhouse told me . When i first got the decals a couple months ago , i did 1 T-shirt & the edges didnt stick & it was the holidays ( decal co wasn't open ) , so i quit so not to waste T-shirts & decals . I tried again today & the only thing that came out good was to a wash cloth given away by Shell gas staions  . i tried longer times  ( better ) & hotter temp ( worse ) . Does age effect the transfer decals ? I peeled the transfer tape right away as the decal co told me . Anybody got any ideas what i am doing wrong ? Does anybody here sell pre-made decals ?

Thanks , Rodger

Guest fivestar

Rodger did you preheat your press and prepress your shirts to get the moisture out?  When you say you bought "premade" decals and at those temps you described, I am assuming they are plastisol transfers.  They can be tricky to do, and require you preheat your press and prepress a few times to get the bottom platen hot.

1. What kind of transfer are you using? (inkjet, laser, plastisol, vinyl)  2. Find out if they are Cold Peel or Hot Peel.  3. Adjust your press' pressure. It could be that it is not making enough pressure. 

Hi , Thanks for the replies . I asked the decal Co what the decals were made of & they didn't answer directly , so i don't know what type they are . I'll try pressing the shirt before transferring . I was not using new shirts ... is that a no-no ? I didn't have any new shirts & figured i'd screw up the used shirts before messing up new shirts learning what to do & alas ... what not to do ;)

i did test the clamping pressure as the decal co said ( not able to pull a dollar bill out when clamped ) & that's correct . I'll try preheating the shirts & also the bottom plate .When i preheat the botom plate , do i leave the rubber pad in ? The decal co said the rubber pad was ok to leave in when pressing . I enjoy making sign letting , but i would rather buy the decals already made & plan on having my Co logo made into heat transfer decals . Is anyone interested in giving me a price for that ?

Thanks again, Rodger