AAndrews19

Marine grade?

What are you guys using for boats? I assume the norm doesn't hold up well submerged in water.

I have never done any boats before but according to Oracal's website Oracal 751, 851/951 are suitable for marine use.

If it holds up on cars in rain and in areas around gas fillers, why would water be any different. You can go to the vinyl manufacturer sites and look at the specs, most do fine on marine applications.

I do A LOT of boats and use the same exact stuff I use on cars. The big difference is make sure you clean clean clean clean clean the surface before you install. most people who have boats use marine wax and it takes more elbow grease to get the wax off so the vinyl will adhere correctly. Don't go real crazy though if it is a fiberglass boat you don't want to tear up the gel coat.

I made Oracal 651 decals for a sail boat that is in brackish water ( Severn River/Chesapeake Bay ) 4 years ago & they are still good . Of course 751 ,951 would be better ...

I know this is totally not the norm or intended use, but my husband wanted flames on his seadoo. So I made them and they have been there for a year, what did I use? Oracal 631 lol. Just waiting to see how long they are going to last.

• Like 1

What would y'all suggest to clean the boat with before applying the vinyl?

The biggest thing is if it's a fiberglass boat and waxed regularly as most are something that will take the wax off. Mean Green is one that I use a lot for the first cleaning then after that I come back with my soap and water and clean any residue from the Mean Green. (Mean Green is just a simple cheap household spray cleanser.)