jsmoritz2000

Help, please. Copam cutter is chattering.

My Copam cutter is only about 6 months old. I have done quite a few jobs on it already so I would say I use it at least 3 days a week on average for 2-4 hours at a time. All in all, I'd say the machine probably has at least a couple hundred hours on it. It has always cut fine until the last few weeks when a problem started becoming noticeable and is now becoming worse. The problem has gotten so bad, that it renders the machine almost useless for cutting straight lines on large scale graphics now. When the machine cuts in general, it cuts fine. However, when cutting from right to left (looking at the machine from the front) and pretty much only when it moves right to left, it makes a terrible noise and the cutter seems to chatter leaving a perforated looking line, as opposed to a clean cut. I tried adjusting the blade depth and pressure numerous times with more or less the same result no matter what I do. I also swapped out blades even though I know the blade I had in it before was barely used. I cleaned the blade holder outer housing all around the inside with a Q-tip and alcohol and only removed a couple tiny fragments of vinyl. I lightly oiled the cutter as I slipped it back into the holder. After all else failed, I then removed the blade holder altogether and ran the machine and it runs perfectly smooth as long as there is no blade holder in the machine. I conclude that I've pretty much done about everything I can short of replacing the blade holder. Does this sound like a logical solution? Do blade holders frequently need replacing? In the six months or so that I have owned the Copam I've really never had any major issues with it. I have jobs that need cut and I'm stumped. Please help.

Just so you know, I'm running Sign Blazer on a Asus laptop. Cutter is a Copam Cp-2500. I am presently cutting Oracal 751 Vinyl, but the issue is present with everything from Green Star to FDC to Oracal 651. I'm thinking the issue has to be somewhere with the machine carriage or blade holder.

Thank you in advance for any help regarding this issue. I really want to ask here first before buying a new blade holder or any replacement parts for that matter.

My Copam cutter is only about 6 months old. I have done quite a few jobs on it already so I would say I use it at least 3 days a week on average for 2-4 hours at a time. All in all, I'd say the machine probably has at least a couple hundred hours on it. It has always cut fine until the last few weeks when a problem started becoming noticeable and is now becoming worse. The problem has gotten so bad, that it renders the machine almost useless for cutting straight lines on large scale graphics now. When the machine cuts in general, it cuts fine. However, when cutting from right to left (looking at the machine from the front) and pretty much only when it moves right to left, it makes a terrible noise and the cutter seems to chatter leaving a perforated looking line, as opposed to a clean cut. I tried adjusting the blade depth and pressure numerous times with more or less the same result no matter what I do. I also swapped out blades even though I know the blade I had in it before was barely used. I cleaned the blade holder outer housing all around the inside with a Q-tip and alcohol and only removed a couple tiny fragments of vinyl. I lightly oiled the cutter as I slipped it back into the holder. After all else failed, I then removed the blade holder altogether and ran the machine and it runs perfectly smooth as long as there is no blade holder in the machine. I conclude that I've pretty much done about everything I can short of replacing the blade holder. Does this sound like a logical solution? Do blade holders frequently need replacing? In the six months or so that I have owned the Copam I've really never had any major issues with it. I have jobs that need cut and I'm stumped. Please help.

Just so you know, I'm running Sign Blazer on a Asus laptop. Cutter is a Copam Cp-2500. I am presently cutting Oracal 751 Vinyl, but the issue is present with everything from Green Star to FDC to Oracal 651. I'm thinking the issue has to be somewhere with the machine carriage or blade holder.

Thank you in advance for any help regarding this issue. I really want to ask here first before buying a new blade holder or any replacement parts for that matter.

Sorry, I don't have a Copam. just trying to help. Is the cutting strip free of gouges, scrapes etc? Yes, blade holders can crack , fail.etc, How about the carriage head part that holds the blade holder, make sure it isn't cracked, if it's plastic. That would not be a big deal to replace the blade holder.. You can get it on EBAY. I would try a few more times of running a big order, and just lifing the blade holder up in it's holder, so that the blade isn't even cutting and see if it runs chatter free.

Hopefully someone with a Copam will chime in.

Mine does the same think I am hoping you get an answer on here. One thing that does HELP is to turn the speed down, you shouldn't have to but thats made a big difference in mine.

I'm with Skeet on this one.... I think that the head might have a crack in it. Check that out really well.

Another problem maybe in the track belt. I don't have a Copam either...... but I can lift the lid and watch the view while it's cutting.

If you have this option, lift the lid and watch it go.... see if the belt is jumping or shaking.... also really check the head for cracking..... I think Skeet has a very good point here.

If it does have a crack, super glue works wonders on cracks!

Also, turn your cutter pressure all the way down, and turn your blade so that just a little of it is showing.

Also make sure the blade is free of vinyl. I read somewhere that Dakota posted awhile back, to put some oil or graphite in the blade holder.

Hope this helps

Actually, after testing various materials again, I have noticed that the cutter does perform much better on the cheaper vinyl and much worse on the higher performance vinyl. I'm sure that is somewhat normal as the better vinyl is slightly tougher to cut. However, this still doesn't resolve anything with the problem at hand. So today I just ordered a new cutting strip and a new blade holder just to see if either helps. I will keep posting with my progress. Thanks for the help and suggestions I have received thus far. :)

So, I received my parts I ordered today and figured out that the blade holder was bad. As soon as I put the new blade holder in I was back to cutting perfectly clean, weedable vinyl at 20 grams of pressure. Awesome! Also, no more horrible grinding sound. All considered, I'm happy with the Copam still after 5 or 6 months of having it. It's been a great machine for the money.

Anybody have any tips on maintaining the life and longevity of a blade holder? Do they require lubrication? If so, what type is best and how is it applied? Or do blade holders just tend to give out in due time?

So, I received my parts I ordered today and figured out that the blade holder was bad. As soon as I put the new blade holder in I was back to cutting perfectly clean, weedable vinyl at 20 grams of pressure. Awesome! Also, no more horrible grinding sound. All considered, I'm happy with the Copam still after 5 or 6 months of having it. It's been a great machine for the money.

Anybody have any tips on maintaining the life and longevity of a blade holder? Do they require lubrication? If so, what type is best and how is it applied? Or do blade holders just tend to give out in due time?

20 grams of pressure puzzles me . I just checked my Copam which is a 2007 model .. it only goes down to 50 grams . USCutter techs have said to use 120 grams of presure & adjust the blade . It maybe that you have the blade out too far & when it snags , it is putting too much stress on the blade holder .

Mine goes down to 20 grams and that is where I have mine set at but still chattering a little. What Blade holder did you order to solve this issue.

Thanks

What blade holder did you order? from where if ebay what seller....could you post a picture thank you....

or if anyone else can help....ive noticed that this is a very common problem with the copam cutters...not just a thing here or there....thanks all for any future help....

I had exactly the same experience. Everything OK except for cuts from right to left with a screaming chatter noise with a perforated cut. Numerous adjustments to blade depth and pressure without results. In my case the problem turned out to be a rough blade holder tip.

Here's how I diagnosed cause of my problem:

First, I created a simple test plot to cut a wide and short box which would force the cutter to traveled all the way across my vinyl sheet without wasting a lot of material. With the blade and blade holder installed, I got a great cut from left to right but got an unusable perforated and noisy cut when the cutter moved from right to left (looking at the machine from the front). Then, I removed the blade from the blade holder, reinstalled the blade holder without the blade in the machine and tried the cut again. Same smooth slide from left to right, but same noise and chatter from right to left!!

Therefore, the problem must be with the blade holder. I inspected the bottom (contact area) of the holder and it was hard to see anything wrong outside of a little circular ridge (almost invisible). But it had to be the holder because it would chatter with the holder in (without the blade), but not with a pen and pen holder instead.

Here's how I confirmed the diagnosis and solved the problem:

I took the holder and ran the contact end over a fine file until the ridge disappeared. Then I took some automobile polishing compound on a cloth on a hard surface and polished the filed end (vinyl end) of the blade holder until it was very polished. Take your time and make sure it is super shiny! After the blade holder end is polished, clean the holder carefully inside and out as the polishing compound is abrasive. Try the holder without the blade again. Same machine, same vinyl, no noise, and no chatter!!!

Put the blade back in the holder, set the depth, and say goodbye to chatter, perforated cuts and weeding nightmares. I hope this is helpful.