karenneill

Totally a Newbie

So at this point I am gathering as much info as i can to see if the T-shirt business is something for me. I have a Heat Press that was given to me by a friend that was doing tshirts but got out of the biz. I have dabbled with doing some small heat press projects and have really enjoyed it to the point of maybe making a run at it as a business. I don't know that i would say I'm overly artistic but enjoy doing artistic things. I have been doing alot of Google Searches--reading and watching videos on what it takes to get going in this. One of the questions I am still trying to learn about relates to software for graphics. Currently I have a fairly new version of CorelPhotoShop--would this work instead of CorelDraw for some of the cutters that are mentioned in the forum? At least until I decide if I want to pursue this in more depth! I haven't actually sat down and played with making drawings yet but it is on my list of things to do in my learning quest. I did come across a manual that I found in the Forum that seems like will be a huge amount of help...I've printed it and and starting to read. Ok so now that i have written a book for my intro--If anyone has any advice please share.

Karen

I'm not yet. That is actually what brought me to this forum...I was researching cutters. I was looking at something on the smaller and cheaper range to start with and get a feel for things so I was looking at the USCutter MH365 12" vinyl craft and scrapbooking cutter. I know that this wouldn't put out any high end production but thought that since i really don't have a clientel base yet this wouldn't be too bad to start tthings off...any thoughts?

I'm not yet. That is actually what brought me to this forum...I was researching cutters. I was looking at something on the smaller and cheaper range to start with and get a feel for things so I was looking at the USCutter MH365 12" vinyl craft and scrapbooking cutter. I know that this wouldn't put out any high end production but thought that since i really don't have a clientel base yet this wouldn't be too bad to start tthings off...any thoughts?

I think you would be disappointed, too limited on size and speed, for $50. more you can get a 25" cutter on a stand and for $280. you could have a 34" on stand, once your friends and relatives find out you have a vinyl cutter, they will want you to cut them something. Easy to get your money back.

http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-series-Vinyl-Cutter-_p_25.html

• Like 1

I think you would be disappointed, too limited on size and speed, for $50. more you can get a 25" cutter on a stand and for $280. you could have a 34" on stand, once your friends and relatives find out you have a vinyl cutter, they will want you to cut them something. Easy to get your money back.

http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-series-Vinyl-Cutter-_p_25.html

Good advice...thank you. Do you have a recomendation for the software...I'm thinking I need something with lots of installed graphics...would you agree?

What Sketer said :) . Also about the software ... I don't know about the Corel stuff . I do know SignBlazer is Very easy to use & can do anything anybody wants wo make a decal .

• Like 1

there is no software with installed graphics. You can purchase cds. on Ebay. or Uscutter or other venues for the types of designs you want to do. of images, The software that comes with the cutters on USCutter, is Signblazer, it is a unlimited FREE trial version design/cutting software.It has limited few shapes in it. You can download it now from the USCUTTER site and play around with it. also inkscape.org is a FREE design software. Other than that you have to design your own designs. Or pay someone to make them for you.

• Like 2

What Skeeter said :) . I am not artistically inclined either , but I can take the stuff in SignBlazer & other places , then add, detract , distort reshape into something that makes me feel it is mine . I do feel a satisfaction after making & especially installing decals like that .

p.s. the stuff Skeeter is talking about in SignBlazer is in the " Library " section under " Draw " om the toolbar . Like Skeeter said , download it & try it out.. you will be ordering a cutter so you can make what you have already made :)

I'm trying to figure out the reputation rating stuff a bit more . I just gave Skeeter a positive for her helpfull post , when I come back to this thread , that post has a 1 by it , does everybody else see that also ?? & if somebody else also gives that post a positive would I / we see the # 2 ?

• Like 3

Ah yes i see th 1 and add a 1 to yours. Very helpful info from both of you...thank you and i will give it a try and keep you all posted on my efforts.

Roger, it looks like it just adds to the individual post, I added a 1 to yours to make it 2. But also adds to to your total on your profile.

well thanks to both of you . I was wondering about the count in the post itself . I know the total in your profile adjusts when a negative or positive is added .. I have seen mine go down a couple times :)

Welcome, you have gotten some great advice so far, I coulnd't agree more with getting a plotter to do 24" vinyl. I have the Copam and love it but am about ready to upgrade to something to do contour cutting. I could never have done what I have with anything smaller than the 24" It would have limited me greatly.