Sign in to follow this  
badun

What cutter should I get?

I'm interested in purchasing a cutter and would like advice based on my potential uses.  I will primarily use the device for making vinyl decals.  I manage a softball team and I'm so sick of dealing with shady/uncaring businesses that I'm starting to do as much that I can by myself.  I will need to make helmet-sized and small vehicle decals (the decals are small, not the vehicles).  Figure about 8" max.  I wouldn't mind getting into heat transfers for shirts but that's not an imperative.  Two color graphics would be the max I need (white with a border, most likely), but if single color is all I can manage then I can live with basic white.  I am a highly proficient PC user and a modest graphics user.  I designed our team logo in Inkscape so I'm fairly familiar with vector graphics.  I do not want to start the logo all over again so software that can import SVG or other Inkscape output is important.  I do not see this growing into a business and definitely not into full-size signs (I have a relative that will do those, but he's not really interested in small batches of decals).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Silhouette because it seems sufficient for my needs and the price is definitely right.  Reviews all seem pretty positive but I'm completely open to suggestions.  Thanks for your input!

I think it worn't be long until you find the silhouette is too small for something you want to do

If you do decide on the Silhouette, I'd recommend getting an aftermarket blade holder that uses regular Graphtec blades, and it will also allow you to adjust the blade depth instead of the fixed depth with the stock caps that comes with the cutter.

If you do decide on the Silhouette, I'd recommend getting an aftermarket blade holder that uses regular Graphtec blades, and it will also allow you to adjust the blade depth instead of the fixed depth with the stock caps that comes with the cutter.

This, and also invest in some cleancut blades. If you don't ever see yourself doing much larger, the Silhouette will be fine, though more capacity is always good.

From what I read here & was told by USCutter techs 3 years ago ... & everything I have read since then , if you can justify the extra expense now , the CoPams are business grade while everything cheaper is described as hobby grade . Worth the few hundred extra IMO . Trouble is , the next step up is worth the difference also  :D .

If the biggest thing you will be cutting is 8.5 inches go with the silhouette. It is a solid, well made machine. Remember that is the SMALL side, you can cut up to 36" in the other direction. The software is good as well. You're going to have to spend upwards of $500 to go up to the next best. You can get the cheaper,bigger cutters for $300 or so but I don't recommend them for the detailed stuff.

The Copam is overkill for what you need unless you think you might be cutting bigger graphics eventually.

After careful thought I decided to act on impulse (j/k) and get the 24" Refine Eco Cutter from USCutter.  I got it off of eBay and saved $9 on shipping - woohoo!  Although I could definitely limit my needs to the Robotec's size, I decided that for the little bit extra I would definitely find uses for a larger cutter.  And since I will making items in bulk (albeit small numbers) it made sense to take advantage of larger material sizes and cost savings therein.

Once I figure out how I'm going to tell my wife that I bought it I will start posting in the relevant sections so I can figure out how to actually use it.  :D

Or you could say your boss wanted you to buy it because they want you to make a new sign for the front door at the office...LOL

stetson5331

I used a deferred payment option for it so I let her mind make the connection that it would somehow pay for itself before the money is due.  :huh: