derrick1217

One week later! All advice welcomed

It has been one week since purchasing my cutter , from ordering and having delivered missing parts (cutter holder - blades - and a software package to arrive I went with Flex8.6 starter due to the fact it was compatible with my cutter) It is all up and working perfectly!

Now I am ready to get busy - I have a 30 inch cutter - a 15 X15 heat press - a cap press - a 27 inch duel sided heat lamanator - I have adobe cs3 and corel 10 also on my computer

I would like to know what products would this board reccomend me purchasing that would maximize the equipment I have - for t-shirts, signs - banners and other projects that would be profitable with the equipment I have aquired.

I am starting out with nothing, and would like to get off to a great start!

I am new at this and would value the advice of others - to avoid costly mistakes

Derrick

For t-shirts: Siser easyweed (t shirt vinyl), jet pro soft stretch (JPSS) for white and light colored t shirts, 3G Jet Opaque for dark t-shirts. The two Jet products are for transfering a printed image to your shirts. Use pigment ink if possible; dye ink will run.

For signs and banners, Oracal 651.

Nite Walker - took you advice on the purchase of materials - divided the order between two companies US Cutter and Heat Warehouse, Heat Warehouse items came first then did not send the Orafol 651 that you recommend that I should purchase they sent gmi, they sent an unknown shirt vinly attempted to use it for a church sign with awful results.

US Cutter supplies came a few days later, exactly what I ordered - the only difference was it was 9.00 for shipping, where the other company paid for the shipping - I would rather pay the shipping and receive what I requested the first time other than receive any product they want to mail at the time. ;)

Contact them and report the miss shipment..If they are a reputable company they should make it right...If not let everyone know about it..Might be a small thing to let everyone know, but the word gets around here on poor service and bad customer service...

stetson5331

For siser easyweed (and other siser products as well as the jet products) I use Specialty Graphics. Fast shipping and very competitive prices. I wish they carried Oracal 651, but the only carry FDC sign vinyl. The FDC is great, but oracal 651 is available in a lot more colors, has better shelf life and longer outdoor durability.

That's right, I came across that deal while browsing the t-shirt forums researching heat presses. I completely forgot about it! That needs to go on my to buy list.

good find!

does anyone else find it funny and ironic that their name is 'coastal business', but they are located in missouri?  couldn't be much farther from either coast.  ;)

good find!

does anyone else find it funny and ironic that their name is 'coastal business', but they are located in missouri?  couldn't be much farther from either coast.   ;)

Umm us in misery aren't allowed to dream??  :-

Hit the free sample posts, you can load up on free "practice" vinyl there, MacTac and 3M will even sent you long 5 yard rolls totaling 40 yards when cut down to 24" goods. I must have gone through 40 yards of vinyl just farting around when I first got my cutter. Doming samples are also availabe...  ;)

I sent in my complaint and this is the sale person responce so far - I told him that I had requested orafol 651 and he sent me this gmi junk and I used a few chose words - due to the fact that I lost a time sensitive job based on them sending me an inferior product:

Went threw an entire roll and could not weed out a one line - statement on a banner for a church, that was ordered for New Years service. 

This is his responce so far:

Derrick,

First we need to know what exactly happened? We sent you shirt vinyl which is the easyweed material that would be cut in reverse/weeded than heat pressed on to garments. We also sent you sign vinyl that is cut, weeded than transferred onto the sign using transfer tape.

So I

"they sent an unknown shirt vinly attempted to use it for a church sign with awful results."

Why are you using shirt vinyl for a sign?   Am I misreading this?   or is it a sign on a Church shirt?  

my 2c.  first off GMI is not junk vinyl.. It is very good vinyl.  I use it very well.  Sounds like you didn't do a test cut for blade depth first.   Or really what was the problem with it?  Why did you have so much trouble weeding?   I don't even see where they sell Oracal brand on this site. Show me.   This is their Sign vinyl   and it is GMI.  If in fact, this is the store you are talking about.   You really need to practice with doing different items, before taking an order.  

http://www.heattransferwarehouse.com/SIGNVINYL_CV300.html  

Point well taken - I did not know what brand or product to order - once I received that information - I relayed what I wanted to the sales person by the name of the product - if they did not carry the product - they should have said so - and if I still messed up the material - it would have totally been my fault.

Yes , this was my first vinyl order and my only experience was watching videos of how it was done.

Yes , I was rushing with a dead line looming over my head to produce!

No - I did not know that the cutting tool could be adjusted, it fits into the holder and I found no way to adjust the seating of the blade, I am new to doing signs and must accept some of the blame also - I have accepted it as a lost and am moving forward to learn more about the process!

You did your very "FIRST CUTS" on an actual customer's order?    You need to get some cheap vinyl or order some Oracal 651 from US Cutter, and practice, practice, until you do get it right.  From start to end, and apply transfer tape to them, you have to practice that also.  Make some stuff for yourself and LEARN the job first before taking any more orders.    ....ok,  sounds like you haven't even learned your machine yet.  BUT your taking orders?  Not a good way to start.  You cannot use the same "FORCE"/OR SPEED", with every material or design.   Materials are different thicknesses. and have to be adjusted according to the material thickness. THat is why you do a test cut first, before doing an actual job. Have you read the newbie manual yet. ?  Or read your user manual?  and from what I have already read, it would not have mattered if you actually got the Oracal vinyl or any other good vinyl.  Which GMI vinyl is.  It would have been the same problem with cutting and weeding.  because you do not know how to  properly run your machine and adjust for different vinyl thicknesses. Vinyl thickness is in mm, and being a few mm's off, can and will ruin your whole job.  You also have to make sure your blade offset is correct.    Get that down first, before you take another order,  practice, practice,  or word will get around not to hire you, because you can't deliver, or your quality is terrible.  You cannot  make a quality product in this business, without actually practicing FIRST.  Get some experience before taking another order. This is a SKILLED job.  and skill comes from experience.  You have to learn to  fine tune your cutter into the job you are doing at the time. Which may not be just like the next job you do.

"if they did not carry the product - they should have said so - and if I still messed up the material - it would have totally been my fault."

Sorry, to be so harsh.... but it WAS your fault.

Again I must agree with you!

Called the manufactor of my unit and tech support walked me threw some of the issues I was having - sat down with the owner of a sign shop and he took the time to address more issues that were not clear to me - lastly I called the tech support for the software I recently purchased after re-reviewing the software instruction program that came with flexi8.6 starter - I printed and weeded a nice basic sign!

Still have a long way to go - to prefect my skill level - but I now feel that I am on the right track!

Thank you for the corrective comments - although brutal - but you were right!

Thank you again!

Derrick

Great glad to hear it.  Now keep on trying....  Sorry, for the brutal.  I'm pretty blunt and to the point.  :rolleyes:

When I am wrong I am not too proud to admit it and say that I am sorry:

My message to him is below - his responce is at the top:

Derrick,

Good to hear that everything has worked out.  It is all a learning process.  If you can take one thing away from this, just remember to test cut all material so you can determine pressure and speed of your plotter.

I hope everything works out great and we accept your apology.

Have a great day.

AJ McAleer

2201 12th St. N Unit F

Fargo, ND 58102

Ph. 701.356.3160

aj@heattransferwarehouse.com

www.heattransferwarehouse.com

From: derrick1217@sbcglobal.net [mailto:derrick1217@sbcglobal.net]

Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:19 AM

To: 'AJ McAleer'

Subject: RE: Bad product

When I am wrong I admit it!

Everything that went wrong was my fault

www.heattransferwarehouse.com has been a great supplier for me....Never used their sign vinyl because I got hooked on Oracal....

When I am wrong I am not too proud to admit it and say that I am sorry:

My message to him is below - his responce is at the top:

Derrick,

Good to hear that everything has worked out.  It is all a learning process.  If you can take one thing away from this, just remember to test cut all material so you can determine pressure and speed of your plotter.

I hope everything works out great and we accept your apology.

Have a great day.

AJ McAleer

2201 12th St. N Unit F

Fargo, ND 58102

Ph. 701.356.3160

aj@heattransferwarehouse.com

www.heattransferwarehouse.com

From: derrick1217@sbcglobal.net [mailto:derrick1217@sbcglobal.net]

Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 9:19 AM

To: 'AJ McAleer'

Subject: RE: Bad product

When I am wrong I admit it!