just got the usb to serial cord. installed it and now it  freezes befor it even tries to cut. i click cut then cut tile and it freezes. now what?

Cutter Model - mh721

Cutting Speed Setting on Cutter 24inches/s

Version of SignBlazer - signnlazer elements 2007

Version of FTDI drive- usb to serial

Whether the problem is consistent? yep every time

If possible, do a few runs without the blade and time them to see if you are getting a consistent point at which the problem occurs.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling both the drivers and SBE. You might want to check the SBE forum to see if there were any driver updates and patches. I was having freezing/lock-up issues too. I took several uninstall/reinstall to work all the kinks out. That, and you need to make sure that you have the cutter setting right - which driver to use, which connection to use, etc.

Do you have a MH721 or a LaserPoint? I ask because this is the support thread for the LP cutters. If you have a MH721, you can try posting this issue in that thread too.

Please post your file.  Also, have you tried setting the baud rate to 4800 on both the cutter and on the computer?

just got the usb to serial cord. installed it and now it  freezes befor it even tries to cut. i click cut then cut tile and it freezes. now what?

Cutter Model - mh721

Cutting Speed Setting on Cutter 24inches/s

Version of SignBlazer - signnlazer elements 2007

Version of FTDI drive- usb to serial

Whether the problem is consistent? yep every time

If possible, do a few runs without the blade and time them to see if you are getting a consistent point at which the problem occurs.

;D I just tried to cut my first somewhat large sign and had this problem.  I have a Laser point 24 and am using my laptop with the USB that came with the machine.  I am having identical issues to what has previously been described here.  I just ordered the cable off e-bay, I hope that solves my problem.  I have been running signblazer elements.  Tried cutting some smaller signs with no problem.  I am still unclear as to why changing to the serial port on the machine makes this issue go away.  It sounds like there are quite a few eople with this problem.  For the 4 bucks I'll try it!

I would also like to check to see if my chip is not seated properly.  Ken could you please inform on the location and process to get at the chip.  Thank you.

Tip the cutter on it's side then loosen the screws along the bottom panel. Wiggle the bottom panel open, and the motherboard is secured to the right side of that panel.

OK, so I am another who has found that using the serial port has solved my problems.  Thanks for all the help!!  I ended up using a Belkin part # N10117 USB ->DB9 conveter.  Worked great,  It has many options to configure in the driver.  If you don't feel like waiting for the cabe off ebay the belkin works SWEET!!  Good luck. :thumbsup:;D ;D :thumbsup: