Sign in to follow this  
mforsman

Oracle vs. Avery

So it's clear that a lot of you here don't trust GreenStar in comparison to Oracle. Or at least aren't willing to risk it at $6 a roll. I can understand that and accept that I should go with a trusted brand as well.

However, with USCutter being on the west coast shipping times are around 7 days which is just a bit too long for some projects. A local supplier sells rolls of Avery A6 (700 high performance calendered opaque).

Their prices are higher than USCutter for oracle at $28 for a 24" roll and $22 for 15".

I guess my question is if Avery is a better product, or if there are any benefits over Oracle. I hate the shipping wait time and it would be nice to be able to use a local supplier since I'd like to keep my turnaround time down.

All opinions are welcomed, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to setup this small operation before I go out and offer a quality product.

Avery is not bad. Just DO NOT use calendered outdoors unless it is short term signage.

Where are you located? Maybe we can help suggest other suppliers that would be able to get supplies to you in a day or so.

Whoa, calendered is not OK outside? Isn't that was 651 is? I thought that was the standard for small decals (which is primarily what I'll be doing).

I'm in Brooklyn, so if there's a local supplier that has a fair price in NJ let me know!

Signuniverse is out of TN, that's better than the west coast. Maybe I'll just have to use them if I can't find someplace better.

Thanks guys,

MDF

Any other help on this. I'm a bit confused since everyone says 651 is the standard for them, but yet it's a calendered vinyl which bayshore said not to use outdoor?

It is pretty much personal preference......651 is adequate for most jobs (including outside) but 751 is better and 951 is even better....

Great thanks for the help.

I called up Fellers and set up an account, even ordered a few rolls of 651. I think for now since what I'm doing is small decals I'm going to stick with it and see if there are any problems.

There's a gentle balance between what a customer is willing to pay and what kind of product they want. I've offered longer life vinyl to a few now and only one has jumped up at and said that they'd like it for a special project. More often than not it seems as if most people are fine with a lower quality product for a lower price.

Should be here tomorrow!

I've used Avery,3m, FDC, and Oracal calendared on outdoor banners for years. Many of them used as permanant signs 24/7. Not a single complaint or return yet. In fact, lots of repeat business. Cal is fine for outdoor..in spite of what you might hear.

Oh..I use Greenstar occasionally too. Nothing wrong with it that I can see.

That's great to hear. I'll use greenstar decals for friends so I can explain the situation and give them a lower price.

Otherwise I'll run 651 I suppose.

Thanks for all of the help!

I don't care what anyone says, I have used Avery and Oracal both for 5 + years with NO problems. I use 6 year Calendered on most my vehicle lettering, signs and decals and have seen no problems also.