godstrong1

business license ?????

what type of license do i need to get in order to bid on local sign jobs in my city like banners, window vinyl signs and what not... is there a a certain amount on one job that i can bid on without getting in trouble? dont want to bid a job and then get busted because it was  a sting operation. thanks 

It really depends on your town/city codes each may require something different. Here in West Virginia you cant get a city license without a state license they fall under contracting here.

Some places have trivial licenses . Here in Md you can get a hucksters license to sell stuff . No advice here is going to be as good as calling your local government & asking . If you get a helpful person , they will tell you the minimum requirements  up to the most .

i asked my town city hall and they said i would need a business license that only cost $10.00 but then asked if a needed a contracting license and she wasnt sure. so she told me to call the contracting board. and ask . i called them and the lady there told me she wasn't sure if i need a contractors license.

i asked my town city hall and they said i would need a business license that only cost $10.00 but then asked if a needed a contracting license and she wasnt sure. so she told me to call the contracting board. and ask . i called them and the lady there told me she wasn't sure if i need a contractors license.

I am sure it will depend on whether you do installs or just sell decals.

Dan

i told the lady at my local city hall that i will be doing the installs also. does any one that owns a sign shop know the anwer to this question? thanks  :huh:

It depends on your location & situation.  No one can really answer your question without knowing your local and state regulations.

Sorry.  I know how hard it is to get answers from small government offices sometimes.  Keep bugging them until someone finds out what you need.  Good luck!

I know how hard it is to get answers from small government offices sometimes. 

they probably dont know.

i work for a local govt as my day job, and i can confirm that the vast majority of the people in power or positions to interact with the public are functionally (barely) retarded.

depending on how your local govt is laid out, your best bet may be looking for code enforcement or police chief.

I know how hard it is to get answers from small government offices sometimes. 

they probably dont know.

i work for a local govt as my day job, and i can confirm that the vast majority of the people in power or positions to interact with the public are functionally (barely) retarded.

depending on how your local govt is laid out, your best bet may be looking for code enforcement or police chief.

In that case maybe just document the dates, times, and responses of your inquiries and keep that info in a safe place.  If you are ever in a situation where someone is challenging your need for certain licensing you can prove that you tried to find out and didnt get anywhere. 

In my case, the official state website tells you everything you need to know, including what you will need locally. Try yours.

i talked to a guy from the ca contracting state board and he said i need a contractors license if i am doing installs on store windows and car wraps ect.... he said it lands under a c42 contractors license. :- which is non electrical.