Sign in to follow this  
tankgirlwa

Brand new cutter won't power up!? *UPDATE*

Brand new out of the box US Cutter Laserpoint wont power up at all. Has anyone else had this happen. I'm so sad I could cry. I hope US Cutter will be kind and resolve it ASAP!

WHAAAAAA! :huh:

Sorry to hear they won't be open until Monday though.  I am sure they will diagnose and send the required parts

That sucks.

Did you try plugging it into another outlet or make sure a radio or something works in that outlet?

Did you check the fuse? I can't remember, but is there a fuse next to the power switch on the cutter?

Did Support give you a phone number and email address?

I would goto UScutter.com and click on support. Go through each link until you find an email address. I want to say the guys name is Carl or something like that.

The first time I plugged mine in, the computer interface wouldn't work no matter what I tried. I finally hooked up a serial cable. The instructions said the USB interface simulated a Serial Cable at 9600 baud, and also the Serial connection on the cutter was 9600 baud. So I connected the serial cable and Bam! it started cutting.

The rest is history.

I did test the outlet just to be sure I wasn't a dummy!  :huh: But I will test the serial port and also check for the fuse. Worst case Ill have to wait until monday :huh:

I did send an email ticket to support. I'm hoping the whole process wont take terribly long!

Thanks for the replies it really helps!  :)

My 871 shipped with the fuse in a plastic bag.  I had to install the fuse.  Also try another power cord.  It takes a standard 3 prong that you'll find on any computer.  Shut off your computer and try that one.  If it works, go buy a new cable.  Definitely use the serial connection.  USB on these cutters is problematic at best. 

My 871 shipped with the fuse in a plastic bag.  I had to install the fuse.  Also try another power cord.  It takes a standard 3 prong that you'll find on any computer.  Shut off your computer and try that one.  If it works, go buy a new cable.  Definitely use the serial connection.  USB on these cutters is problematic at best. 

:huh: ???

Thanks I'll definatly try switching out the power chord, I don't think the fuse was seperate but I'll double check that as well. I haven't even connected it to the computer yet so I know its not the serial cable. Just tried the power so far.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. It's KILLING me to wait until monday!

Thanks I'll definatly try switching out the power chord, I don't think the fuse was seperate but I'll double check that as well. I haven't even connected it to the computer yet so I know its not the serial cable. Just tried the power so far.

I really appreciate all of the suggestions. It's KILLING me to wait until monday!

Serial cable won't cause it to not power up, but if you use a USB cable when it does power up, your next post will probably be asking why it won't cut.

I used the usb on my p-cut (laserpoint without the laser) with no problems for over a year.

I used the usb on my p-cut (laserpoint without the laser) with no problems for over a year.

OP is welcome to try it.  I personally wouldn't waste my time.  Serial port works every time. 

OP is welcome to try it.  I personally wouldn't waste my time.  Serial port works every time. 

Most new computers don't have serial ports leaving the two options of ad a card to a tower with a serial port (best option) or a keyspan adapter for a laptop

Again thanks for all the replies, as of now I have spoken to tech support once. They advise I have my husband test the wires and electric connections for a dead area. So the poor guy is downstairs after a hard day at work taking apart a machine we just spent a lot of money one. He is pretty pissed.

I have to wait to contact them again tomorrow since my husband gets off work outside their business hours.

Hope to update you again with happier news.

Buying anything mail order can have problems like this . Not many vinyl cutter stores around , so most people have them shipped . Before I bought from USCutter, I did get a price on a vinyl cutter delivered & set up with on site support/repair etc ... I would still be saving up to buy a cutter from them :thumbsup: . I'm sure it will only be a matter of days before you are up & going .

Tank Girl,

I would be upset too. Like you said, you spend all that money for what, to become a Cutter repair person?

Did you ask the company to send you a new one and refund the money you spent on this one.

I would also ask them to give me their home number (even though you won't get it), and to have someone test the machine before it leaves the shipping department.

I think there's enough of us on this forum that could work as Installers around the country for US Cutter. They could offer new cutter buyers the option of having someone deliver it, and install it for a fee.

When you buy a Dell Computer online they don't install anything. You have to buy the installation package. Why not offer that as a service and use independant contractors to install them.

Some people just don't think before starting a company.

Maybe they did think . The great thing about owning your own business is that you can run it anyway you want to . If someone else thinks they can do better , they can start the same type business & take all the customers away . USCutter seems to be doing well . No offense meant , but it cracks me up when somebody is a member here & seems to think they are on the board of directors . Diagnois & sending the replacement part is cheaper than shipping the whole unit back & forth & has worked so-far .

I was implying that Dell doesn't think not US Cutter. Also, we don't know that it's working. This is just a forum.

IMO , Dell is a pretty successful company for 1 that doesn't think :thumbsup: That is what business is about , making money ... I wish I could be as thoughtless & be that successful  :thumbsup: . I do know USCutter's diagnois & sending the defective part instead of returning the complete cutter back & forth works from being a member here for a bit over 3 years . I have  read the whole 9 yards of the process from customer & the seller . The good , the  bad & everything in between . Seldom does the whole cutter need to be sent back & in every case , USCutter has went the extra mile to satisfy .

Don't take what I say as combative , I don't mean it that way , just another perspective . I do think throwing positive things at the situation  ( me ) is much better than throwing negative things ( you ) , especially when such a short period of time is involved .

I was implying that Dell doesn't think not US Cutter. Also, we don't know that it's working. This is just a forum.

yes we do.

yes we do.

+1

OK I promised an update:

After talking with customer service quite a bit, they were all super helpful and empathetic. I was given two options. I could either send the machine back for repair and they would repair it (at their expense) and send it back to me. Or I could opt to test the machine with a multi meter to figure out which part was band and they would send out a replacement part for me to install myself.

Since my husband is a mechanic and I did not want to wait for them receive, repair, and re mail my machine back I opted to do the work here at home. Husband found the power converter board was bad and USCutter sent it out in a matter of days. Husband and I installed it today and viola! So far the machine is working without issue. I have yet to cut but am working my way through the Noob Manual posted here on the site and getting ready to do so.

Thanks as always for the support here on the forum! I look forward to learning and working with everyone!

I'm glad things worked out , I knew they would  :thumbsup: