Sign in to follow this  
signranger

New from Australia

Hi All,

I have been reading and forum and decided to sign up. I know nothing about signs but my husband is a sign writer for a company for 3 years. He is thinking about going on on his own. We have the space and are legally able to do it and we have some money to get started.

I guess I am looking for advice on equipment, what type of signs to do, formula for pricing jobs.

He can do all sorts of signs from windows, big store fronts, car wraps, etc. He does mainly design and he is very artistic and good at it. He doesn't know how to weld but he could learn.  I even thought about making stickers and selling at a local flea market.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Lemony

Thank you for the welcome. What are y'all doing u at 3am? :thumbsup:  BTW Im originally from Indianapolis, IN before I moved here to Oz.

Welcome Signranger,  I too am from Indiana,  only 2 hours north Of Indy.  North Manchester.  

Welcome from Louisiana,

If he has the ability to do vehicle wraps he can do any kind of printed or cut vinyl job I can think of.  Do some market research in your area and see what needs are not being met.  Flea markets can be very good business with little overhead.  Does he have experience in production as well as design?  He will have ideas of the equipment he has used and liked or hated.  My advice is to not buy the cheapest equipment you see - go at least mid level - and if you have the funds buy a better quality machine.  Also read some of the pricing threads on here - and figure your expenses and profits you want to make into an hourly shop rate for production.  Design time usually can be at a higher rate - more skill involved.

-Mike